BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 151 - 160 of 2466 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...247

Forum » Thread

Re: packing for trips
I fly somewhat less than Paul, but yeah, that's the biggest difference I notice day-to-day. Some of the UL gear just makes it easier to pack small and light. More so, the techniques (wash you...

In Philosophy & Technique » Has UL backpacking changed the way you live?
May 05, 4:48pm

Re: Simpler options?
>"Can you cut out the gasket/ring from a liquor bottle?" Taking that excellent suggestion a step further: Take your pot to the liquor store. Find some liquor container than is a g...

In Make Your Own Gear » Found a bottle that fits; now need gasket material for lid!
May 04, 10:39pm

Re: Yosemite prohibits drones
Shooting from the hip, I'd think it might be resolved as within FAA jurisdiction above, say, 10,000 feet MSL (IFR flights tracked by ATC) and/or 500 feet from any person or structure consistent...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Yosemite prohibits drones
May 04, 10:36pm

Re: Carbon fiber frame backpacks in the future
>"Do you think big manufacturers will produce CFRP frame backpacks in the near future? What is it going to take to make that happen?" No. Alas. I've tried my hand at a lot ...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Carbon fiber frame backpacks in the future
May 04, 6:32pm

Re: how low should my base weight be before i consider a lighter backpack
Realize, of course, that your total weight isn't constant. Each day, the two of you will go through 4-5 pounds of food and fuel. It's reasonable to plan a trip with fewer miles at the beg...

In GEAR » how low should my base weight be before i consider a lighter backpack
May 04, 6:10pm

Re: Waterproofing the pack?
A lot of things (tent, stove, pots, sleeping pad) can get wet and still work fine. For things that can't (dry clothes, down bag), I use a trash bag. If it is within stuff sack, the trash bag ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Waterproofing the pack?
May 04, 3:29pm

Re: Re: "Don't buy expensive ___; put your money toward good ___."
>"If I had a nickel for every bent aluminum stake I've had,. . . . " I'd be able to afford one titanium one.

In GEAR » "Don't buy expensive ___; save your money and buy good _____."
May 02, 12:45am

Re: My tough Mom
>""My mother describes a trip she took in college, in Alaska somewhere along the coast... the name escapes me. They had a scale at the beginning, and you "had to have" 100lbs...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » the opposite of ultralight
May 02, 12:43am

Re: Brain-dead Catch n Release
>"(I'm sure you know this David, as an Alaskan angler, but this is a topic that has really frosted my chaps for a long time)." I wasn't saying I approved, and the guy I saw ...

In Fishing » Lures/ bait for trout
May 01, 5:22pm

Re: Ratsack for Grand Canyon use
>"We have now switched to cookie tins" Ooh!, I like that! Metal, chew-proof, reasonably waterproof. Reasonably lightweight. And cheap. Like $1 at the Thrift Store with a Currier...

In GEAR » Ratsack for Grand Canyon use
May 01, 1:56pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.