BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 151 - 160 of 2592 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...260

Forum » Thread

HX pots
As you cook for more people, you want a bigger pot (duh). When you have a bigger pot with more water/food in it, you wish you had a bigger burner. One way around that is to use a bigger pot with ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Group cooking
August 26, 12:56pm

"Equivalent Miles"
I've long used the concept of "equivalent miles" by taking horizontal miles and adding an addition mile for every 500 vertical feet (up AND down). For all non-USA/Liberia/Burma count...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiking Distance Estimates
August 26, 11:44am

From the cover of Popular Science
>"Where do the pocket-sized hydrogen fuel cell units fit into this discussion?" While hydrogen-powered fuel cells have been feasible for decades - if you don't cool the hydrogen...

In GEAR » battery pack vs solar panel
August 26, 11:32am

Re: battery pack vs solar panel
I ordered a battery pack purported to be 11,000 mAH off of eBay and then tested it. Repeatedly. It was nowhere close. Instead of providing 4 iPhone charges, it gave somewhat more than 1. And fa...

In GEAR » battery pack vs solar panel
August 25, 9:05pm

Re: Re: Re: Winter Stove Discussion - 2014
>"Plus, the price per gallon of water from snow is is obviously better with liquid fuel." Hopefully you know this, but don't argue price of fuel until you've got one of the ...

In GEAR » Winter Stove Discussion - 2014
August 25, 4:08pm

Re: Re: Current light weight synthetic sleeping bags?
Max, "I think I'm one of the few synthetic die-hards on here, so take my opinion for what it's worth." Me, too. Summer backpacking in California - sure, down lets you save wei...

In GEAR » Current light weight synthetic sleeping bags?
August 25, 4:00pm

Re: Women of BPL, Help a Brother Out
>"I'm going to carry some tequila and PackitGourmet margarita mix." How about a nice white wine (transferred to a plastic bottle), a selection of cheese from the deli and good c...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Women of BPL, Help a Brother Out
August 24, 11:38pm

Re: collapsible for long hikes
A few water-carrier generations ago, circa 1985, Adventure-16 made a 2-gallon water carrier consisting of a light plastic bladder with the same filler/spout as wine-in-a-box fit inside a slightly s...

In GEAR » Collapsible water bottles - why?
August 23, 1:35pm

Re: hat ?
+1 on the Chrome Dome. I find it feels about 10F cooler under the umbrella while in full, high-altitude sun (like 8,000 feet in the Sierra). Does double duty during those afternoon thunderstorms....

In GEAR » Hat for hot sun...
August 23, 1:20pm

Re: Tall person's support thread
Duluth Trading has their "anti-plumber's butt" T-shirts with an extra 3" of length in the torso in many styles and colors for around town us. Including some in a wicking fabric ...

In GEAR » Tall person's support thread
August 23, 12:09pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.