BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 151 - 160 of 2525 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...253

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Where do you find UL products?
Be easy on him. I've got that geographic dyslexia too, where I get east and west mixed when typing or speaking quickly.

In GEAR » Where do you find UL products?
July 29, 11:31am

Re: Re: Link to Manfred & Twins Brooks Trip
Richard, More importantly, such text narration of the trip, nightly, would provide some peace of mind to his family. I guess there'll never be another Lewis&Clark-style expedition in ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Brook's Range Traverse
July 29, 11:29am

Re: REI return policy
Toccs, I don't see any of your attempted returns as being unreasonable, seeing as how they were all bought before the policy change. I'm fine with your strategy. Individually, I'd ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » REI return policy
July 28, 11:46pm

Wax and wood
An advantage to the wax is that it doesn't smell much (or smells of "Christmas-berry" or some such) - I buy the biggest, ugliest candles at Goodwill for about 25-50 cents per pound. ...

In GEAR » Gat-gen wax/multifuel stove?
July 28, 7:20pm

Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the info so far - really appreciated!
Marko: I learned the daypack-in-front trick on a GCNP death march. My companion bonked, so I carried his pack on my chest then put my daypack on normally on my back (thus, the normal pack's st...

In GEAR » Pack size for UL thru-hiking - 40L too small?
July 28, 7:10pm

Re: Thanks for the info so far - really appreciated!
One possibility is to bring a SUL daypack like that Sea-to-Summit, 2.3-ounce, 20-liter one (about $39). Wear it backwards, over your chest, the first few days. Eat your high-volume and, of course, ...

In GEAR » Pack size for UL thru-hiking - 40L too small?
July 28, 11:07am

HX?
As always, I ponder the benefits of a heart exchanger on the pot. I might revisit these wax burners with that tweak. Unlike my 1 to 2-liter HX pots, these wax burners lend themselves to 200-300 mls...

July 28, 2:06am

Now with air
That last photo has the wax burner flat on the workbench (i.e. no interior air channel). Elevating it 2 cm caused a much higher flame (and therefore less unburned wax vapors and soot.

July 28, 1:52am

Re: Re: Gatt-gen wax/multifuel stove?
Dan, that was me, playing with various wax burners because of a jet flight (TSA restrictions) to a grassy, volcanic Aleutians island (Adak) with no natural wood. At $129, I'd guess this wa...

July 28, 1:47am

Re: Confirmed
Thanks to all and especially John (Dan). I proposed buying needle, thread and anything thing with a zipper in Anaktuvuk Pass, but Manfred was clear it could not be field repaired. This was ...

In Gear Swap » URGENT - Got a SMD Haven?!?
July 25, 3:39pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.