BPL Community Profile

David Drake (DavidDrake) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale North Idaho
About Me I manage the Fabrication Labs for a university architecture program, and teach design courses.
CityMoscow
StateIdaho
CountryUS
My Website URLhttp://ddrake.net
My PDF Gear List2014 Basic 3 Season 3 Day

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Drake

Showing 151 - 160 of 725 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...73

Forum » Thread

Re: Alcohol Stoves for Narrow Pots
I use a "half-penny" with either SP 600 mug or Heiny keg pot. Made like a Jurey penny stove, but with small V-8 cans. Easy to make, easy to use (no separate priming step). Reliable, in my...

In GEAR » Alcohol Stoves for Narrow Pots
March 23, 5:51pm

Re: Realistic expetations
"it's hard to carry 7 days of food at ~2 PPD and end up with a total weight less than 25lbs unless you are at a base of 10lbs" True. But it's not difficult to get food down to ...

In Gear Lists » JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
March 15, 1:57pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: New exos arrived
Everything you did, Owen. Plus shortened straps where possible and (biggest savings) removed lid and drawstring. Lid alone is 5 oz (according to an old spreadsheet--haven't weighed it lately). ...

In GEAR » New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014
March 13, 11:04pm

Re: Re: My Gear List w/ Photos
Gear list w/ photos=very cool. Should be the new standard. Outside of winter use or other specialty use, I consider 65 liters pretty huge. The key to comfortably doing 10 days no resupply wit...

In Gear Lists » My Gear List w/ Photos!
March 13, 2:17pm

Re: Re: New exos arrived
I have one of the 1st gen. 58L Exos (orange/gray). After some (mostly reversible) stripping, it weighs 33 oz. Now that it's no longer new and shiny, I'm tempted to really go at it and see h...

In GEAR » New Osprey Exos Packs for 2014
March 13, 2:08pm

Re: Lots of threads
Thomas C.: A few links: Here's a thread that discusses seams useful for tarp construction (with drawings and pics): http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thre...

In Make Your Own Gear » Help sort out my confusion
March 13, 9:17am

Re: JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
If your question is, 'Can I get to a 11-12# BW with a 5# pack?' then the answer is, 'Not with that shelter, that bag, that pad, and a bear can.' Cold: replace one or both of your...

In Gear Lists » JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
March 12, 10:02pm

Re: Re: sewing
The slippyness, yes. Jerry's description nails it. A professional-looking job takes practice. A functional job, not so much. And yes, my mental math was off a bit. So you prob. would have to...

March 12, 9:11pm

Re: myog
DIYgearsupply's silnylon 2nds have worked well for me. His yards are usually 60" wide or wider--5 yards will make make you an 8x10 tarp for less than $30 in materials. Sewing silnylon is a...

March 12, 7:22pm

Great feedback
Thanks to all. Owen, John, and others--thanks for confirming Katabatic's reputation for quality. I'm not opposed to spending over $400 on a bag, but if I do, I'd like it to be one of...

In GEAR » 30F Bag Comparisons--which to buy? (with spreadsheet!)
March 10, 8:29pm

All Reader Reviews by David Drake

David Drake has posted no reviews.