BPL Community Profile

Dave Heiss (DaveHeiss) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest
About Me Backpacker since 1973, started going lighter in 2003
CityCamano Island
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Dave Heiss

Showing 151 - 160 of 276 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...28

Forum » Thread

Coming in March 2011
I'm looking forward to trying the Exped Synmat UL pad, which an Exped rep said will be introduced in March. Oh - and the Riksak? I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it's going to be a nice,...

In GEAR » Which New Gear are You Looking Forward to Trying?
November 01, 10:40am

Wife's first backpacking trip
Years ago, when I took my new wife backpacking for the first time I did much the same level of shared planning that other posters here are advocating, but I failed to account for one important thin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Planning my lady's introduction to backpacking
October 22, 10:52pm

Washington hikes
So many choices... The PCT north of Hwy 2 (Stevens Pass) is very nice, and I've done a couple of trips in the Sawtooth Wilderness area just east of Lake Chelan that were exceptionally good. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Washington State, best long hike?
October 13, 9:46pm

Me too
The heaviest backpack weight I ever carried was 63 pounds, into the Wind Rivers (I think it was 1979) for what was supposed to be a two week north-to-south traverse. My friend was carrying 64 pound...

In GEAR » Light weight gear What a laugh!!! NOT!!!
October 01, 2:57pm

Exped Synmat UL availability
I received this response from Exped today regarding when they'll be introducing their new Synmat UL pad: We will be delivering the SynMat UL in early March of 2011. Sigh - only 6 more mon...

In GEAR » Looking for a comfy, sub 16 oz sleeping pad for 20 degrees
September 20, 6:01pm

PCT hike
Go. You'll enjoy the trip (it's beautiful country) and if you decide you want the security of hiking with others, rest assured there will be other hikers on that stretch of trail you may be...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » I am going solo but?
September 01, 12:05pm

Exped Synmat
Nice. I like the slightly larger outer tubes, and the weight too. Any idea if its for sale yet?

In GEAR » Looking for a comfy, sub 16 oz sleeping pad for 20 degrees
July 21, 1:19pm

Use a pad
Many years ago, one of the first backpacking trips I ever took was with my dad. We planned to hike up the West Fork of the San Gabriel River in the Angeles National Forest, and dad decided that he ...

In GEAR » Newbie to beach camping: sleeping pad or no
July 16, 11:28am

Tyvek Pants size (from US Plastic)
Hey Dont, What tyvek (pant) sizes did you order from US Plastic, and how did they fit? I learned from their tech support folks that the XL pant size has a 28-inch inseam and an overall 44-inch l...

In GEAR » Seamsealing tyvek pants
July 15, 1:19pm

Sprint Aquatics
I've used the Sprint Aquatic mesh shoes for a couple years now, around camp and for stream crossings here in the Cascades. I am careful about foot placement during stream crossings but I've...

In GEAR » Sprint Aquatics Mesh Shoes: Grip?
July 14, 10:49am

All Reader Reviews by Dave Heiss

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Montbell Versalite
Andrea - I'm looking forward to your opinions on the Versalite 50. I've still got that pack on my short list, and hope you can provide some input on its comfort and functionality. My only conc...

In Backpacks - External Frame
August 13, 5:37pm

02 Rainwear Rain Suit
I also have an O2 Rainwear suit. I picked up a pair a few years ago and have been really happy with the performance, but I still wince at the screaming yellow color every time I put them on. It is def...

In Clothing - Raingear
March 26, 11:34am