Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Chenault (DaveC) - BPL Staff

My Locale Crown of the Continent
About Me Social worker. Backcountry traveler and writer in my spare time.

I have given up on PMs due to their tendency to encourage poorly considered inquiries. Please contact me through my website. I enjoy pack construction and trip planning questions in particular.
CityThe Fish
StateMontana
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://bedrockandparadox.com
My PDF Gear ListWinter '14/15

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Chenault

Showing 151 - 160 of 3507 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...351

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Bare minimum for trekking pole and 80-130 lbs weight load?
The BD Alpine Carbon Corks are still unmatched in this category; lightish, compact, and remarkably strong. You can cut quite a bit of weight by replacing the grips. I've never seen the Ko...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Hunting: Towards a Coherent Definition
April 08, 10:02pm

Re: Mariposa compression straps?
No straps, just grosgrain loops for cord. I never found the velcro hipbelt attachment to be a limiting factor, and never had it slip or come undone, even at loads close to 50 pounds.

In Editor's Roundtable » Guide's Gear Award No. 1: Gossamer Gear Mariposa Backpack
April 08, 3:17pm

Re: Water filter for Utah canyon country (Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa)?
"According to the ranger I spoke with, the springs are actually bubbling up from the ground in this area - not flowing....which I'm thinking means murky/sediment water. (there may be small...

In GEAR » Water filter for Utah canyon country (Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa)?
April 08, 11:30am

Re: Early Melt and water cfs
Chase, that's a highly relevant and somewhat complicated question. I'd also say, as something of a hint, that stream crossings should be the #1 concern on this particular course. Greg i...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2015 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open
April 08, 9:45am

Re: Re: hiking cadence
Bob, I think steps (counting both right and left) makes more sense, which is the metric I used above. Rough terrain will slow cadence, but less than most think. Thinking and walking mix well, b...

In Philosophy & Technique » hiking cadence
April 07, 3:40pm

Re: Grand Gulch (Cedar Mesa, UT) pre-planning questions
I would not hesitate to leave the rain coat home. Left it in the car for 7 day and 4 day Grand Canyon trips last year when the forecast was stable. Umbrella wouldn't be bad insurance and woul...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Grand Guld (Cedar Mesa, UT) pre-planning questions
April 07, 1:07pm

Re: Adding weight to increase efficiency. Thoughts?
Practice. A few sacks may or may not help, but the only thing which will be guaranteed to boost efficiency is both going on more trips and thinking about where everything is in a pack and why. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Adding weight to increase efficiency. Thoughts?
April 07, 7:06am

Re: hiking cadence
I took a few self-samples on a hike this weekend. With a 25 pound pack I was right at 120 steps/minute on flat and rolling trail. That number is almost cut in half on significant uphills, and is ...

In Philosophy & Technique » hiking cadence
April 06, 1:36pm

Re: The most important question of all
You bring the shirt, I'll bring a sharpie. ;) In all seriousness, ain't gonna happen. I don't think I need to elaborate. (first two rules...) Snowmelt around here continues to b...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » 2015 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open
April 06, 10:37am

Re: Re: Tarps with a view
Chase, the Bob isn't so different than any other place. It's a good combination of PacNW forested canyons in the western part, and forested midlands and Yellowstone-esque sage valleys in t...

April 02, 12:08pm

All Reader Reviews by David Chenault

Showing 1 - 10 of 25 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

STARBUCKS VIA Italian Roast
Tastes good enough, tiny and easy to use. What could be better? It not being so darn expen$ive.

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:17pm

Lara Bars Cherry Pie
Tasty, moist, tasty, good calorie to weight ratio, compact, resists deformation, doesn't freeze too bad in the cold, tasty, made of real food, and tasty! Bar-shaped food does not get any bett...

In Foods - Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks
July 27, 2:16pm

Patagonia Capilene 1 T-Shirt
Cap 1 seems to have changed very little since it was called silkweight capilene back in the day. It dries very quickly, wicks pretty well (though not as well as cap 2), and most importantly feels lig...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
July 27, 2:12pm

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest
I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it. I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I&...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
April 11, 10:47am

MLD Trailstar
In summary: Aside from a bivy sack for good weather and race pace endeavors, I've sold off the rest of my shelters. It's a great cross of a pyramid and a tarp. Finished weight, seam sealed...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
April 11, 10:39am

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
It's hard to get more warmth for the weight (or price). I like having a few pieces to add in as supplementary feet and/or torso pieces. It is quite fragile. Do not leave this on the outside o...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
March 28, 3:18pm

FireLite Trapper's Mug
A very well designed cup. Light, but seems just as functionaly durable as Snowpeak or Evernew stuff. Ideal size for a soloist. The taller than it is wide shape is one I prefer for cooking on a fire...

In Cookware - Titanium
March 28, 3:03pm

Patagonia Houdini Wind Jacket
Note 1: This is a review of my 2005/6 Houdini. It's longevity is revealing (it may have been the Dragonfly back then, even). Note 2: If the price is outrageous, no one would buy it! The prote...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:08pm

Patagonia Ready Mix Softshell Pants
I disagree with all Kev's objections, and desperately wish I could find more mediums to buy. The simplicity is what I love best. Actually, the perfect in all conditions from 70-10 F fabric is ...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
January 29, 8:00pm

patagonia down sweater
Note: I'm folding this review of the Down hooded pullover into this section because 1) the hooded p/o isn't made anymore, 2) the critical comments likely apply broadly. I really liked the d...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
January 27, 10:07am