Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Eric Blumensaadt (Danepacker) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Mojave Desert
About Me Retired H.S. teacher, 10 yr. Nat'l Nordic Ski Patroller, fmr. XC racer, Army ROTC winter survival instructor, hunter, backpacker, former ACA moving water canoeing instructor, sea kayaker.
FINALLY have become a lightweight (not UL)backpacker.
CityHenderson
StateNevada
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 151 - 160 of 4095 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...410

Forum » Thread

Cabela's
Cabela's has THE largest selection of synthetic base layers I've ever seen. NOTE: My oldest Cabela's long john set is now 18 years old and has seen 8 years of ski patrolling (XC &...

In GEAR » Synthetic thermal baselayers comparable to Mont Bell Zeo-line?
December 28, 8:10pm

NEOS
I wear mine with thick felt pac liners and a felt insole beneath them and moulded insole inside them. Some people her wear them over running shoes but that is not at all warm in sub zero temps....

In Winter Hiking » Cheap Mukluks?
December 28, 8:09pm

Material?
I have liners that are 50/50, gray wool felt on the inside and white polypropylene felt on the outside half. I see they look like ski boot liners. But NEVER MIND at $176. per pair !!

In Winter Hiking » Intuition Liners for Mukluks/over boots
December 28, 8:01pm

But now...
I now have an Eddie Bauer down jacket and covet some WM down pants.

In GEAR » Sleeping pants
December 28, 6:15pm

30 degree WM Megalite to 15 F.
By wearing long johns and synthetic insulated (Thermolite Micro) pants and jacket inside my WM Megalite bag I was very comfortable in 15 F. temps. This was in late October in Colorado's Indi...

In GEAR » Sleeping pants
December 28, 6:14pm

Thanks Sierra Club
Thank you Sierra Club for "fighting the good fight" such as: 1. your "Beyond Coal" campaign against coal-fired power plants. Banks will no longer finance new coal-fired power...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » And now the Nice list
December 28, 3:43pm

Pulk trips
I agree with Christian regarding pulls. Even a 4 to 5 day trip can be a lot nicer with a well made pulk - IF the terrain is not too steep. My setup has longer wands for XC skis and shorter for s...

In Winter Hiking » Design THE perfect light winter backpack
December 28, 12:34am

Rain suit?
On a short section hike of the Colorado Trail a few years ago I actually needed my parka AND pants (PacLite GTX) on two occasions during heavy afternoon downpours. I plan to go again and yep, I...

In GEAR » Rain gear for the CT
December 28, 12:18am

TT Moment winter mods (could work with Enan and Akto)
The main modification was placing the crossing pole inside the fly for more support. It is partially held in place by double-sided Velcro cable ties sewn inside at the two reinforcements for the o...

In GEAR » Hilleberg Tent thread
December 27, 7:00pm

Tarptent Moment DW modified for winter & winds
Here are my "winter mods" to my Moment DW. Also (barely) visible are stakes thru loops on the fly hem holding the lower edge of the fly down. The X-ing pole goes into the origin...

In GEAR » Tarptent Moment DW modified for winter & winds
December 27, 6:36pm

All Reader Reviews by Eric Blumensaadt

Showing 1 - 10 of 28 | Page: 1 2 3

Review

Category

Tarptent Scarp 2
I purchased the Scarp 2 SPECIFICALLY for 4 season use. I knew I would modifiy it for winter use when I purchased it. The Scarp 2 is my 3rd Tarptent, following a Contrail and Moment SW. Like them it...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
November 02, 8:09pm

Allen and Mike's Backcountry Ski Book
"Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book" is the very best book on teh eop I have ever read - and I've read most of them in the last 40 years of backcountry skiing and ca...

In Books and Media
October 24, 8:01pm

REI Kimtah
Recently got the REI Kimtah eVent parka and on a Ruby Mountains, Nevada backpack found it to be as good a wind jacket as it is a rain parka. The sale price was $159.95 which is 30% off the regular ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 03, 1:45am

Eddie Bauer Down Sweater
I purchased an Eddie Bauer Down Sweater (their term) on sale this summer for $89. It was reviewed by Will Riveted in his extensive articles of light down jackets and got a favorable, "middle-o...

In Clothing - Insulating - Down
October 27, 8:15pm

Thermarest Trail Pro Regular
I won my Trail Pro regular at a Sierra Club Outings leaders training seminar, otherwise I would not have spent the money B/C I seldom car camp. But now I have an alternative for a winter ski camping m...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
May 03, 9:56pm

Brunton Crux
I bought the Brunton Flex because of its wider burner ring for better heat distribution so I wouldn't get a hot spot on the bottom of my pot when cooking. I was not aware that there was a Brunt...

In Stoves - Canister
January 29, 9:38pm

tarptent moment
I give the Moment a "5" because I feel it is currently the best solo single wall tent design. It has great quality, innovative design and excellent attention to detail. My previous solo ...

In Shelters - Single Wall Tents
December 24, 12:52pm

Carbelas GORE-TEX® PacLite® Rainy River Parka
Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka (and pants) are THE bargain in good quality, lightweight, breathable rainwear at the 2010 regular $99. price. The Taslanized fabric is a matte finish, unlike...

In Clothing - Raingear
August 08, 12:10am

Vargo Triad XE
The XE version of Vargo's Triad is an improvement in several ways. 1. After I complained of the original removable alcohol burner being too small the company owner responded by making it larger...

In Stoves - Alcohol
May 18, 8:51pm

Brunton Flex
This is the newer version of the Prumus/Brunton Crux canister-top stove and appears to have corrected faults reported by Crux owners. First the number of fold-out pot supports has increased from 3...

In Stoves - Canister
May 10, 3:38pm