BPL Community Profile

Chris Townsend (Christownsend) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Cairngorms National Park
About Me outdoor writer and photographer, author of many books & articles on backpacking, hill walking and ski touring. Very keen on long distance walks and wilderness. Hikes: PCT (1982), CDT (1985), length of the Canadian Rockies, Yukon end to end, Arizona Trail, length of Norway and Sweden, round of the Munros and Tops, Land's End to John O'Groats and many shorter (under 800 miles) hikes.
CityGrantown-on-Spey
CountryScotland
My Website URLhttp://www.christownsendoutdoors.co.uk

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Chris Townsend

Showing 151 - 160 of 414 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...42

Forum » Thread

GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
Excellent reviews and interesting comments. My experiences with the first GoLite shoes seem typical - comfortable but lacking durability. I haven't tried the latest versions. Finding a light tr...

In Editor's Roundtable » GoLite Footwear Competition and Fire Reviews
November 21, 9:19am

Giardia
Here's a meta-analytic study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10737847 Conclusion: "the evidence for an association between drinking backcountry water and acquiring giardiasis is ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Do you filter?
October 24, 4:52pm

TGO Challenge clothing list questions
John, I've hiked the Challenge 13 times with a wide variety of gear. During those hikes I've had blizzards, heavy rain, stormforce winds, frosts and hot sunshine! Your clothing list looks g...

In GEAR » TGO Challenge clothing list questions
October 20, 7:11am

Cameras
Hi Roger, >> I think there's plenty of room in between these two positions. >You would complicate things! :-) Sorry! :-) >> And of course there's the Leica M9. >F...

In Photography » One All Around Camera, Light and Professional: Does it exist?
October 12, 6:31pm

Stove Fireballs
Hartley, in my experience any of the multi-fuel stoves can produce a fireball during priming. I wouldn't prime any of them under cover. I haven't found the X-GK any worse than the others. I...

In GEAR » Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
October 12, 3:24pm

One All Around Camera, Light and Professional: Does it exist?
The nearest to this would be a lightweight DSLR with a zoom lens. I use a Canon 450D with the 18-55 kit lens and, occasionally, 11-18 and 55-250 lenses. I've had pictures from this camera (and ...

October 12, 2:43pm

Cameras
"For many WALKERS, a DSLR will be frustrating because of its size and weight and the probability that it is always in the pack when they want to take a photo." But this doesn't hav...

October 12, 2:39pm

Stoves - Turkey
If going for a multi fuel stove the Primus Omnifuel, Optimus Nova and Nova+, MSR Whisperlite Internationale and MSR XGK EX are the best with different and dirty fuels in my experience. Of these the...

October 12, 1:55pm

Polar bears
"Chris, are polar bears really that bad up there? I'm surprised they actually required you to bring a gun. " Kuje, not where we were going, which was inland. We only needed one rif...

In GEAR » Ultralight Rifle
October 12, 10:02am

Best Stove for use with Puncture Canister
That looks like it. I checked the vauDe site and it's not listed so it looks as though it's been discontinued I'm afraid.

October 11, 6:19pm

All Reader Reviews by Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend has posted no reviews.