BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://westtexasmountainman.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 151 - 160 of 2078 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...208

Forum » Thread

Pack and other things
Can you take things off the McHale? Looks to me like a lot of his packs have removable packets etc. Might save some there. I would get an Exped Lighting 60. They are starting to go on sale fo...

In Gear Lists » JMT Gear List - Need to lost 3-5lbs
March 14, 2:11pm

Bill in US Senate might open YNP and GTNP to packrafting
A bill to open rivers in Yellowstone and the Grand Teton to hand powered boats (i.e packrafts) went to the Senate. Interesting they have time for such a niche thing but its there. Here is the tex...

In Packrafting » Packraft Relate Bill in US Senate
March 07, 8:26pm

Just Got it FYI to you pack makers
I just got the pack and tried it in the house. I like it a lot. The only concern is with the curved hipbelt it fits lower then my old pack. Apparently curved hipbelts let the pack sit a bit ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Chris Zimmer Pack for Heavy Loads
March 07, 4:54pm

Re Re Chris Zimmer Pack for Heavy Loads
Roman the only thing wrong with the Exped was it was huge for most of my trips. My first Zimmer pack carried all my stuff comfortably and was only 36 liters. My Exped is 60 liters. I could have ...

March 07, 3:46pm

Re Re Smells Like Pepper Spray
How do you tell the difference between a black bear and a grizzly? Simple - just climb a tree If the bear climbs up the tree, pulls you down and eats you its a black bear. If the bear ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears in Yosemite
March 05, 11:24pm

Re Mmmmm Pepper Spray
I remember reading a "survival" manual that was supposedly based on the SAS curriculum. Its advice if you thought a predator was stalking you was to back away slowly while spraying the g...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bears in Yosemite
March 05, 11:07pm

Maybe this
The closet I've heard of is the Luxerylite packs. Not my cup of tea but an interesting idea.

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 05, 10:08pm

Hipbelts
You two are right about the hipbelt. In my opinion that is the limiting factor in many UL packs. I think the HMG packs are nice but I think the Exped Lighting hipbelt is better, it is both stiffer...

March 05, 9:21pm

Re Clayon and David
Clayton I tried a Porter but it wasn't as comfortable as my Exped Lighting. I think it was partly the hipbelt and partly the center mounted frame. This pack was sort of and attempt to combi...

March 05, 8:34pm

Not bad actually
Not a bad list actually. The pack, shelter, and quilt look good. We could quibble about specifics but all three are proven designs that are reasonably light. I would consider hiking in light...

In Gear Lists » Long Trail Thru Hike Gear List (heavy) needs to be updated for PCT Thru (light!)
March 05, 8:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.