Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Bob Gross (--B.G.--) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Silicon Valley
About Me I was backpacking ultralight before Ray ever published!

Photo Gallery:
http://imagetransactions.zenfolio.com
My Website URLhttp://www.imagetransactions.com

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Bob Gross

Showing 151 - 160 of 12253 | Page: 1 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ...1226

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Where to learn self-arrest
Crampons, knots, and a harness have very little to do with self-arrest technique. Maybe they are all covered in the same training class. Self-arrest generally refers to a glissade, and then a st...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Where to learn self-arrest
February 10, 3:42pm

Re: time and moolah
"if u have some moolah" Eric, does that mean maple dollahs or does that mean yankee dollars? Or, does it matter? I once watched a mountaineering guide trying to teach some beginners...

February 10, 1:54pm

Re: Re: waterproofing for fabrics
Roger, you have mentioned fluorocarbon, silicone, and wax, and you suggested not to mix them. The Goretex label specifically said to wash it in ordinary powdered detergent and tumble dry it warm...

In GEAR » waterproofing for fabrics
February 10, 1:48pm

Re: Where to learn self-arrest
Many years ago, I used to lead an annual Mount Shasta climb (or ski or snowshoe). We would spend the first day getting up to high camp at Helen Lake on the normal route. Once tents were up, we had ...

February 10, 1:39pm

Re: waterproofing for fabrics
When the Goretex was new, it was highly waterproof. Even though it looks new, sporadic use over 15 years may have left contaminants inside the laminate/membrane. That's why I washed it. I just ...

February 10, 1:08pm

waterproofing for fabrics
Years ago, if we wanted our outdoor clothing to be more waterproof, we would spray it with Scotchgard fabric protector. Then Goretex warned not to use Scotchgard. Then Goretex changed a couple of t...

February 10, 12:50pm

Re: talk to me about cuben hybrid packs
It is easy to understand why there aren't many long term usage reports. Cuben hybrid fabrics haven't been on the market for that long. I was concerned when I read about bear canister wea...

In GEAR » talk to me about cuben hybrid packs
February 10, 11:16am

Re: Re: Re: Beter than a cat stove?
"I have tried a few Cat Can Stoves and they are a little fragile and not very efficient. Putting a stove on top of it isn't that stable either." Why would you put a stove on top o...

In GEAR » Beeter than a cat stove?
February 09, 10:18pm

Re: Re: BAY AREA - Bearikade Questions
There are some real "foodies" out there that can't even get their food packed into 200 cubic inches per day. I never attempt to store all of my food inside the bear canister except...

In GEAR » BAY AREA - Anyone have a Bearikade I can take a look at?
February 09, 8:50pm

Re: Various Sizes
"That or if someone could tell me how to insert a spreadsheet I'll post it." With many spreadsheet programs, you can save the sheet as a JPEG image file, then insert that into your...

In GEAR » BAY AREA - Anyone have a Bearikade I can take a look at?
February 09, 8:28pm

All Reader Reviews by Bob Gross

Bob Gross has posted no reviews.