Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1491 - 1500 of 1580 | Page: 1 ...139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158

Forum » Thread

Shelter-Insulation
Al-The problem with carrying a down sleeping bag is that you would have to carry shelter to keep it dry where as your WB jacket would protect a down jacket while napping. You could experience nappi...

In Editor's Roundtable » John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt - Unsupported, Without Resupply
September 03, 7:35pm

Bag testing
Joseph The going rate for a certified lab to test just the temperatures using the EN13537 dummy ranges between $577 and $1,218. A complete EN13537 test sequence costs approximately $1,925.

In GEAR » Montbell stretch bags
August 31, 11:35pm

7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
Bill-You and Brian were very polite to not rub it in that I had miscalculated the Polarguard Delta clo/oz value in an earlier thread… thank you for the education and the courtesy! You and Brian a...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
August 31, 9:15pm

Re: Montbell stretch bags
The evaluations of sleeping bag warmth would have significantly more value if the posters specified the R-value of the mat they used to make their evaluation. Up to 1/2 of the body heat is lost thr...

In GEAR » Montbell stretch bags
August 31, 7:22pm

Re: loft/warmth?
Christopher-Extrapolate Bill's loft number from Mike Martins table at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_sleeping_bag_position_statement.html to find out what top loft an ...

August 27, 10:15pm

Re: 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
Bill-Theoretically Cuben will degrade your insulation if it is on the top layer and it will become a potentially uncomfortable vapor barrier if placed on the bottom layer. Cuben on top - Your bo...

August 27, 8:08pm

Re: Shelter/Insulation
John- You have most succinctly stated the objective - This simple addition will keep you at a SUL base weight and keep you from being SOL. For most hikers the Heatsheet is a viable safety item but ...

In Editor's Roundtable » John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt - Unsupported, Without Resupply
August 26, 8:54am

One dangerous problem needs to be addressed
Al - As you correctly noted, your biggest vulnerability is going to be your body temperature when you attempt to take a nap. Your MB down inner jacket insulation layer is .8" single layer and with ...

August 24, 1:45pm

Re: Black Diamond Megamid/Megalight and bug advice
Adam- Some versions of this shelter come with one black 7 ¼” loop (7 ¼ B2) connected to each gross grain ribbon stake point (B1). You need two 7 ¼ loops connected to the Meg for setup flexi...

In GEAR » Black Diamond Megamid/Megalight and bug advice
August 23, 10:14am

Rain Gear for Alaska
Ryan, Please consider a gear review of DWR effectiveness for a future BPL issue. Specifically how fast does stuffing, dirt, brush abrasion, and constant rain degrade each brand of DWR on nylon f...

In GEAR » Rain Gear for Alaska
August 17, 2:14pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm