Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1491 - 1500 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Kinda ghetto, any merit?
Allison, thanks. I want to make the thing all cuben, but I'm looking at $100 just for the floor, and the fly looks like it'll take about 50% more... I just remembered, I do have some silnyl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber - Q&A
July 30, 3:53pm

Cuben: Sil Hydrostatic Head
I'm patterning out a double-wall UL tent right now, and am trying to determine the best [function: cost: weight] ratio. Basically, it seems like Cuben would be great for the floor for its water...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber - Q&A
July 30, 10:53am

Burn time
Just as a consideration: I've had an older Zipka, had the original batteries in it for 4-5 years before I replaced them. I used it pretty frequently. My guess is that the reported burn time is ...

In GEAR » headlamp with these features...
July 30, 8:31am

Versatility potential
Wind-proof fleeces can be hugely versatile, depending on how you use them. I, too, use them mostly around town because of their convenience. But I wouldn't ignore them for backcountry use. Obvi...

In GEAR » Windstopper
July 28, 11:48am

Understand weight, but...
Looks like I'll probably buy that book Bill cited. In the iterim, I do and have understood the bit about 8mm weighing about an ounce per yard. What I don't know is if that in any way transl...

In Make Your Own Gear » Poly Tube Down Air Mattress (DAM) First Generation
July 28, 10:48am

??? Baffled, but not in a bag way...
Hi Bill and all- I'm truly and completely stumped on the silk tube bit. The silk I used was the exact same stuff, 8mm Habotai from Thai Silks. What I was doing to establish down-proofness was ...

July 27, 12:30pm

BPL Subscribing to Texbase!
Richard, thanks, that's awesome! Tom, I move that BPL subscribes to Texbase, too--that would be really helpful to a large contingency of people and help propel the lightweight backpacking commu...

In Make Your Own Gear » Textiles Research
July 25, 5:06pm

Re: Poly Tube Down Air Mattress (DAM) First Generation
"I kept a silk tube of Down hanging over a bedroom door and would play with it several times a week to see if I could get the Down to leak through the silk tube. I never had a problem with los...

July 25, 4:58pm

XGK
I've owned both stoves, and personally much prefer the MSR XGK. I really liked the optional versatility of the Primus in burning canisters, too, but in use I found that burning with liquid fuel...

In GEAR » Primus Omni-Fuel Stove versus msr xgk ex
July 25, 4:13pm

Re: Re: Pack liner vs. Pack cover
Michael- Sorry for the confusion on terminology. The sacks I use are, in fact, roll top closure and completely waterproof. I typically use the phrase "dry sack" instead of "dry bag&...

In Philosophy & Technique » Pack liner vs. Pack cover
July 25, 11:05am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.