BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Guest

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1481 - 1490 of 1808 | Page: 1 ...140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ...181

Forum » Thread

Re: How do you pack a Caldera
Pics of a SP 700 with its cone. I will be thinking of how I want to mark volume gradations on the yellow cup so as to do away with the measuring cup.

In GEAR » How do you pack a Caldera
November 06, 9:37pm

Re: Caldera
OK - let me rephrase. Given the non-compact nature of the windscreen, the kitchen system's protective plastic container is a lightweight (1.9oz) and secure way to store both the cone, fuel bott...

In GEAR » How do you pack a Caldera
November 06, 2:18pm

Re: Homemade trail bars
For a similar bar, in widespread use thanks to the nationwide draw of BSA's Northern Tier High Adventure base, try googling "hudson bay bread". Like Sarah's receipe, you can add...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » trail bars
November 06, 2:08pm

Re: TT Rainshadow2: Did I pitch it right?
Or this is the inherent nature of a tarptent and I just have to live with it? It is inherent, and probably a major factor in you not having condensation. Site selection can help a lot ... but f...

In GEAR » TT Rainshadow2: Did I pitch it right?
November 05, 6:14am

Re: The Hike Is Done
Ya mean Andy's not still hiking;-) Truly amazing, well done!

In Editor's Roundtable » The Great Western Loop
November 05, 12:54am

Re: Preparedness view of ultralight?
The seem to share "our crowd's" disdain for Backpacking Mag;-)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Preparedness view of ultralight?
November 02, 8:42am

Re: DIY Tarptent
holds a nice pitch too! that IS a nice pitch .... but backyards are a wimpy test for that. Show me a picture on uneven forest floor the morning after an all night rain and 20*F temperature dro...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tarptent design (Lunar Duo clone)
November 01, 4:04pm

Re: Off Topic
Matt, There are only one or two sections of the SHT that I don't care to repeat but if you want to start with the best, my votes would be Silver Bay to Caribou River (45 miles) or Lutsen to...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Bivy sacks and increased warmth?
October 31, 11:35am

Re: Silnylon Test?
There's always the "backside test" ..... set two layers of it on the floor and walk briskly across it ... if you end up on your backside it is silnylon;-) More seriously it bare...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silnylon Test?
October 31, 10:09am

Re: Reviews for BMW Products...
This has come up in the past and the response has been that BPL will not review BMW products ... it was cast more or less as a conflict of interest issue. I tend to agree with that position. Bu...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Reviews for BMW Products...
October 29, 11:16am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am