BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1481 - 1490 of 1822 | Page: 1 ...140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ...183

Forum » Thread

Re: Vapor Trail side pockets
I find the pockets to be just what i need, and out of the way when I don't. YMMV. Ditto that. I use a GG Virga rather than a Vapor Trail but the pockets are the same. I get two 1 liter s...

In GEAR » ULA vs. Granite Gear
November 22, 7:07am

Re: Make Your Own Gear: Tarp Guylines
Doug asked How does this stay together? He must have had a "Chinese handcuff" free childhood;-) Sheets on a sailboat (them are lines to us lubbers) use a similar technique except th...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Tarp Guylines
November 21, 9:09am

Re: 5 min break
Jardine is an adamant proponent of elevating feet on rest breaks. Also sleeping with feet higher than head. Can't say I've made either a practice but it's interesting seeing an inde...

In Philosophy & Technique » Rest Periods When Hiking
November 18, 4:59pm

Re: Insulating value of Heineken Cone
I'm in the Twin Cities. Having lived in Northfield, MN for a couple years I feel your pain On the contrary, I prefer the MN climate to that in S.E. TX. But having heard rumors that water...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heineken Cone
November 18, 11:14am

Insulating value of Heineken Cone
I found an added benefit of the cone. It works as a pretty good insulator. I respectfully submit that in Mark's locale (southern Texas) the primary need for insulation is to keep the can'...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heineken Cone
November 18, 10:12am

Re: Pacific Northwest Trail - 1200 mi. - Summer '07
Sam, That was a very nice show and it was great to meet you. There was quite a collection of MN BPLers present. Maybe we could form a local chapter:-)

In Post-Trip Reports » Pacific Northwest Trail - 1200 mi. - Summer '07
November 17, 6:42pm

Re: got it (re meth)
You could burn 190 proof vodka in your stove, too. How's that for a dual use item. Au Contrare .... that is dual purpose, not dual use. Dual use is the same ounce fulfilling two needs, th...

In GEAR » Stove comparison-what I do on rainy days
November 15, 11:45am

Re: Tater Tuesday: Smoked Salmon Mashers
Tater Tuesday come on a Wednesday this week! (any old Pogo fans lurking out there?)

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Tater Tuesday: Smoked Salmon Mashers
November 14, 9:00am

Re: AGG Tarp Tent 10 ft size
Sarah, The thought of a tarptent convert losing their faith is too much for me to sit idle and let happen without comment;-) If a zipper is all you'd need to make this tent complete, it see...

In Gear Swap » AGG Tart Tent 10 ft size
November 08, 8:29pm

Re: trail bars
better dessert bar than a snickers? That'll be the day.....

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » trail bars
November 08, 10:03am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am