BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1481 - 1490 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: The Straight Dope on DEET and Nylon
Spandex is apparently damaged by DEET, so stretchy fabrics containing it would be out (good question!). http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG122

In Philosophy & Technique » The Straight Dope on DEET and Nylon
May 30, 5:51pm

Re: The Straight Dope on DEET and Nylon
I have not seen it damage nylon, but I have see it damage the coating on waterproofed nylon. I most commonly see it damaging (surface-etching/melting) certain hard plastics and painted surfaces.

In Philosophy & Technique » The Straight Dope on DEET and Nylon
May 30, 3:47pm

Re: photo
Great shot! I'll guess Olympic Natl. Park.

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Goats!
May 27, 10:13pm

Re: Anthrax Inactivation
Hi Katie, Thanks for your post, it's always great to have a manufacturer's representative participating on the boards! If you'll indulge a correction from a civilian, anthrax is a bacterium, ...

In GEAR » Water filter comparisons
May 22, 11:11am

Desolation, Carson-Iceberg
Desolation has a lot of nice hikes--it's where I go most often and I know it pretty darn well. It's also heavily traveled in midseason, should you want to "get away from it all." Assuming you'll...

In Post-Trip Reports » Reno NV Trip Ideas Please/Thankyou
May 21, 12:30pm

Re: Right right, no DEET
You might be better off with a bug bivy that can keep them completely out, along with flying critters. Ants are nothing if not persistent and will find the tiniest gap or bridge, given a night of t...

In GEAR » Another Thought: Bugs and Tarping
May 19, 10:30am

Re: Will permethrin damage my pack?
I've treated non-coated nylon fabric with no noticeable harm, including a Hennessy Hammock body. I've heard anecdotally that it can affect DWR treatments, but I've got no personal experience with t...

In GEAR » Will permethrin damage my pack?
May 13, 9:30pm

Re: Gorillapod
I played with one in the store. I think it would cling tightly to a trekking pole handle, but won't speculate about the shaft without trying it out. p.s. FWIW my local REI carries them.

In Photography » Gorillapod
May 04, 10:05am

Re: Water proof treating a pack?
Right. Generally, pack fabrics are already waterproof. Seams and zippers, and any unprotected openings are where water gets in. You can seal the seams to slow water's progress inside, but I've o...

In GEAR » Water proof treating a pack?
April 25, 12:58pm

Re: Wolfgang Puck's Self-Heating Latte
Yup, a lot of waste. I had a couple of the self-heating MSR meals they sold a few years ago and, while they were great for snowshoeing day trips there was a *lot* of stuff to tote and throw away. ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Stovemaking possibility?
April 23, 12:11pm

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm