Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1481 - 1490 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

re: canister stoves
I definitely would not recommend the Pocket Rocket. I know the stove has many devoted followers, but in the end, the pot supports are the least effective (yes, worst) I've seen. It is a quite l...

In GEAR » stoves, stoves and more stoves questions
August 05, 8:54am

Iodinated filters
This is just a reflection, really, but several years ago iodinated matrix filters/purifiers were pulled off retailer's shelves because the filters were deemed not completely effective. Basicall...

In GEAR » Lifestraw ultralight water purification system by Vestergaard Frandsen
August 05, 8:46am

Tunnels
All right, all right... I know the reputation he has. But Big Sky has a two-person tunnel tarp-ish tent, fully enclosed, separate vestibule, something like 35-40 square feet, that weighs 1# 12oz (C...

In GEAR » Water resistant tarptents
August 02, 8:02am

Pole length
Okay, so I'm cutting my aluminum poles to length with that chainsaw... :P I guess that part of my question is: Do I get some poles, flex them into shape so that they fit to my floor's c...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tent Patterns--Off the Cuff?
August 01, 12:28pm

Simplest answer...
I had one of those groaning "Duhhh" moments this morning. My intention for this bag is a roomy mummy bag for one, that I can use as a quilt for two. For whatever reason, I got stuck in th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Modified Sleeping Bag Build-up Problems
August 01, 12:17pm

Re: Re: Modified Sleeping Bag Build-up Problems
Michael, I'm leaning toward the chainmail-ish balaclava... Vick, the bag isn't all that big. Essentially the same dimensions as a Western Alpinlite: 64" shoulder, 54" hip, 38&q...

July 31, 6:08pm

Re: SketchUp, Home Building
Brian & Tim- Thanks for the idea on SketchUp. I played around a couple hours with it today, but think I need to spend more time learning the program before it's useful--there were some thin...

July 31, 5:59pm

Modified Sleeping Bag Build-up Problems
Hi, everybody- If it seems I'm hogging new threads, I'm sorry. None of my projects seem to be going right and I'm getting stressed out. (Any homebrewers out there? Papazian: "Re...

July 31, 11:07am

Tent Patterns--Off the Cuff?
Hi, all- So, one of the projects I'm working on is a UL/SUL double wall tent. A couple of "design parameters" (to make it sound official): 1) sleep two people & two German Shep...

July 31, 10:04am

Re: cuben color
Colin, thanks for doing all the experimentation and reporting you've done on this. I mentioned the paint dusting mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I am surprised that it increased the weight signific...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber - Q&A
July 31, 8:41am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.