BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1471 - 1480 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: GALVANIZED WIRE MESH
McMaster Carr has it, but in quantities sufficient to supply the entire forum. http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search "wire mesh" products, or see # 9327T626 as an example. Getting back to galvan...

In Make Your Own Gear » wire mesh pot stand - galvanized?
June 14, 10:42am

Re: wire mesh pot stand - galvanized?
I *think* that once you've burned off the zinc there're no more fumes generated, so you only have to go through the process once. Perhaps our chemist-types can verify? You might also look for st...

In Make Your Own Gear » wire mesh pot stand - galvanized?
June 13, 3:52pm

Re: Milkman
I agree! Discovered it in Boy Scouts eons ago and still use it today for camping and backpacking. As a kid who had to either have powdered milk (bleccch) or (bleccch X 10) soy "milk" due to alergie...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Best powdered milk?
June 10, 6:45pm

Re: GI problems & chemical treatment
Think of the Miox as a little chemical plant, using two chemicals (salt and water) and electricity to create the treatment chemicals (chlorine compounds and acid). This makes it a close cousin to, ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Help with Aqua Mira
June 10, 11:30am

Re: other symptoms.
Hi John, I second Paul's recommendation to utilize PT's lifetime warranty. I'm testing the Quad, and it exhibits none of the behaviors you're describing. Good luck.

In GEAR » Princeton Tec Quad problems?
June 07, 9:49am

Re: Buddy bear vs. lined loose Ursack
Since the Ursack isn't truly rigid and smooth, and has a drawstring and the opening, it's hard to imagine a bear couldn't snag it and saunter off. I would anchor the thing.

In Gear Lists » Tahoe-Yosemite trail gearlist
June 06, 2:03pm

Re: Max Adapter
So there's life for those Max stoves after all, no matter what happens to the fuel. The Fyrestorm would require the inverse of this item to use Max cartridges. Hopefully something less...large. ...

In GEAR » Using a Markill adapter to use PowerMax fuel with non-PowerMax stoves
June 06, 8:44am

Re: Using a Markill adapter to use PowerMax fuel with non-PowerMax stoves
That's a slew of questions! I'll take my shot at a couple, then step aside for the experts to weigh in. re. the Fyrestorm, there is at present no Max adapter and I'd be surprised if there eve...

In GEAR » Using a Markill adapter to use PowerMax fuel with non-PowerMax stoves
June 05, 3:13pm

Re: Tahoe-Yosemite trail gearlist
Hi Ryan, Thanks for the link, I've got a much better idea of your route now. You can probably get a good idea of the various trail stretch conditions by following a couple of of the Sierra hikin...

June 04, 12:00pm

Re: Tahoe-Yosemite trail gearlist
Ryan, Can you elaborate on the route? The "official" Tahoe-Yosemite trail is a well-established and well-maintained route. How does your proposed route differ? So far as I know there are no c...

June 04, 9:51am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm