BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1461 - 1470 of 1556 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Re: eVENT
I recently returned from a 1 1/2 month expedition along the Gulf of Alaska in the SE. It rained for 16 days straight before we had the first day of sunlight. Again it rained most days after that. ...

In GEAR » Montane eVENT® Quick-Fire and Superfly and Other Light eVENT Jackets
September 12, 7:22am

Re: eVENT and pit zips
My Lowe Alpine Evolution jacket uses eVENT as the WPB membrane and it was manufactured with pit zips. I bought it on a close-out at Sierra Trading post last year.

In GEAR » Montane eVENT® Quick-Fire and Superfly and Other Light eVENT Jackets
September 11, 8:00am

Re: Clo?
Michael-R value, m2K/W, clo, and TOG are just different names for thermal resistance of a specific insulation thickness. See my earlier BPL forum posting http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/bac...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
September 06, 11:15pm

Re: Clearly not an Electrician
It is the latter; you will be OK.

In GEAR » Solar Chargers for Long Trips
September 05, 6:40pm

RE: Necessary Wattage for Solar Chargers
Perrin- Unlike a normal solar charger, 1) the Solio charges an internal battery from the sun and 2) then uses a variable voltage DC to DC converter to output from its internal battery to your devic...

September 05, 11:10am

Re: MilliAmps
Perrin-Multiply volts x amps to get watts. In your case you need a THEORECTICAL 5.184 watt solar charger output. Portable solar chargers are rated in output watts assuming they have a clear sky...

September 04, 8:41pm

Shelter-Insulation
Al-The problem with carrying a down sleeping bag is that you would have to carry shelter to keep it dry where as your WB jacket would protect a down jacket while napping. You could experience nappi...

In Editor's Roundtable » John Muir Trail (JMT) Record Attempt - Unsupported, Without Resupply
September 03, 7:35pm

Bag testing
Joseph The going rate for a certified lab to test just the temperatures using the EN13537 dummy ranges between $577 and $1,218. A complete EN13537 test sequence costs approximately $1,925.

In GEAR » Montbell stretch bags
August 31, 11:35pm

7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
Bill-You and Brian were very polite to not rub it in that I had miscalculated the Polarguard Delta clo/oz value in an earlier thread… thank you for the education and the courtesy! You and Brian a...

In Make Your Own Gear » 7 ounce Polarguard-Delta Quilt
August 31, 9:15pm

Re: Montbell stretch bags
The evaluations of sleeping bag warmth would have significantly more value if the posters specified the R-value of the mat they used to make their evaluation. Up to 1/2 of the body heat is lost thr...

In GEAR » Montbell stretch bags
August 31, 7:22pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm