BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1461 - 1470 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: Solar Cookers
Fun stuff! The big problem as I see it, is that you'd have to be cooking at a time when most folks are hiking. That, and in breezy mountain environments too much heat would likely be carried awa...

In Make Your Own Gear » Solar Cookers
July 20, 2:18pm

Re: Camera Bag
Camera size, shape and weight all come into play in what might work. Can you elaborate on what camera you're considering? Also, do you want to keep it at hand on the trail, or is it going into your...

In Make Your Own Gear » Camera Bag
July 20, 10:06am

Re: disposable cameras
Try the Kodak HQ. It's got a sharper lens and higher-definition film (ISO 800), which should yield better results than run-of-the-mill disposables. I've seen reasonably good results from them, b...

In Editor's Roundtable » Camera Selection Basics for the Lightweight Backpacker
July 17, 4:57pm

Re: Is an optical zoom required?
It's a good question especially, as you point out, while pixel counts climb. A high-quality prime lens cannot be matched by a zoom, either in resolution or speed, and matched with a good low-noise ...

July 14, 3:39pm

Re: old film cameras
Well Roger, You can place them in a nice display case or you can stock up massively on your favo(u)rite E6 films and keep using them. Scan the slides you'd like digitized. Now I do recognize ...

July 14, 11:08am

Re: Backcountry lampshade
A styrofoam cup works pert' good as a diffuser. And it's, well, also a cup.

In GEAR » Best LED Lantern
July 13, 2:26pm

Re: Helix Shaft Protector
The pipe insulation looks like a great answer for protection against bumps and scrapes! I can also imagine wrapping the shaft with fabric tape, such as adhesive tape or even handlebar tape. I'm ...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Care & Feeding of a ULA Helix Ice Axe
July 01, 8:43am

Re: Panel Loader Theory and Ideas
Hi Brian, Variety is the spice of life and since I’m a gearnut, I’m obliged to encourage you to develop a panel-loader. That said, I appreciate that being a small maker-vendor, you can easil...

In GEAR » Panel Loader Theory and Ideas
June 29, 11:14am

Re: Ghost observations
I tested the Ghost last year for this site. It would be high on my recommended list--provided it fits as there's no back length adjustment. Should you buy on line, be sure there's a return policy i...

In GEAR » UL Internal Frame Pack: Mountainsmith Ghost v Granite Gear Vapor Trail vs Others
June 28, 10:39am

Re: Hex 3: for 3 or not?
I've got the slightly smaller Hex 2, but even with more room I'm not sure I'd want three fullsize adults inside, presuming a pole-less pitch. It's pretty easy to get wet brushing against the walls ...

In GEAR » Hex 3: for 3 or not?
June 16, 10:33am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm