BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1451 - 1460 of 1556 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Re: coupon code eVENT jacket
I received my $50 eVENT parka shell today. After close inspection I am happy to report that this is a fully featured shell that is optimized for high exertion activities such as backpacking. It ...

In GEAR » $50 eVENT jacket from Teva
October 04, 3:31pm

Re: silk
The purpose of the underwear layer in cool / cold weather is to provide some warmth and to keep moisture away from the skin by transporting it to the next layer by wicking, or capillary, action. Ma...

In GEAR » Silk
October 03, 6:44pm

Re: Batteries and chargers
Maha makes a small, light, and intelligent charger that will handle any combination of AA and AAA. They also make a super charger that handles a wider variety of battery types.

In GEAR » Batteries and chargers
October 03, 8:47am

Looking for a UL Down Jacket
For sitting in 30F weather with a wind shell over the insulation, you will need about .7" of single layer loft. In addition to other poster's fine recommendations, the Patagonia Down Sweater wil...

In GEAR » Looking for a UL Down Jacket
October 02, 6:41pm

Re: Is Wool in ?
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/comfort_moisture_transport_wool_synthetic_clothing.html

In GEAR » Is Wool in ?
September 30, 7:38am

Re: Climashield - COMBAT - Quilt
Bill-Your quilt liner will result in a total clo value up to .3 - .5 higher than the total of the two insulated items. This is a result of the air trapped between the liner and the quilt, assuming ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Climashield COMBAT for MYOG
September 28, 10:09pm

Re: Coleman Powermax fuel container failure
I had an MSR 8oz cartridge fail this summer. The Lyndal valve wouldn't work with either of my stoves. The cartridge was full and I could expel gas by pusing against they Lyndal value using a screwd...

In GEAR » Coleman Powermax fuel container failure
September 28, 2:13pm

AeroGel Garments (Will AeroGel ever replace down?)
An Aerogel jacket of equivalent warmth will not be lighter than a high quality down jacket. Although the thermal conductivity of the best available Aerogel fabric (Spaceloft 6250) has .5x the therm...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » AeroGel Garments (Will AeroGel ever replace down?)
September 28, 10:37am

100 weight fleece examples
J R-Referencing your post stating in part…"With only moderate activity it is good for about 50F used with your light water resistant jacket (RN)…" this is a pretty subjective statement (JR). Ye...

In GEAR » 100 weight fleece examples
September 18, 4:36am

Re: 100 weight fleece examples
100 Series (frequently called Micro Fleece) weighs 5.9-6.2 oz/yd2 and is .944-.992 clo. With only moderate activity it is good for about 50F used with your light water resistant jacket. Campm...

In GEAR » 100 weight fleece examples
September 17, 12:05pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm