Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Rick Dreher (halfturbo) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northernish California
About Me There once was a hiker from Nantucket....

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Rick Dreher

Showing 1451 - 1460 of 1656 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ...166

Forum » Thread

Re: CF Trekking poles--breakage characteristics
Hi Ted, Thanks very much for your comments and observations. Sudden shaft failure could certainly be a concern since we rely on our poles in dicy situations. It could be that CF is a more vulner...

In Editor's Roundtable » Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles Review Summary and Gear Guide Overview
September 13, 9:35am

Re: Tarptent Contrail
Henry, you never cease to amaze. Nice work!

In GEAR » NEW Tarptent
September 02, 8:40pm

Re: Montbell stretch bags
I've got an older model #5 and find the "comfortable" to be the minimum and imagine the "usable" would mean "no sleep." They've since altered the design and upgraded their down, so it could be t...

In GEAR » Montbell stretch bags
August 31, 6:40pm

Re: cleaning trail running shoes?
Yup, the washer seems to work well. Be sure to remove the laces if using a top-loader!

In GEAR » cleaning trail running shoes?
August 25, 1:22pm

New Olympii
Olympus unleashed a sack of new cameras for the biennial Photokina, including *four* new Stylus/Mju waterproof models. The Stylus 1000 will have 10-meg resolution, in case you're not filling up tho...

In Photography » New Olympii
August 23, 1:57pm

Re: golite hex 3
I've not had much luck finding well-placed, stout overhead branches. I hike in the Sierra, so other forest types might be more accommodating. The beauty of the overhead line is you have the full...

In GEAR » golite hex 3
August 18, 4:34pm

Re: Coleman Fyrestorm Ti Stove REVIEW
Hi Douglas, While Coleman has a photo on their website of a canister inverter stand compatible with Max stoves they've not, to my knowledge, proposed a Max adapter for the Fyrestorm. http://...

In Editor's Roundtable » Coleman Fyrestorm Ti Stove REVIEW
August 16, 4:53pm

Re: Hex 3 modification for bugs, etc
I think so long as you're prepared to place items around the perimeter to hold the Tyvek beneath the netting, your scheme should work, although it seems possible you'll need a larger piece of Tyvek...

In Make Your Own Gear » Hex 3 modification for bugs, etc
August 13, 2:13pm

re. Photon Freedom
Hi Jonathan, I tag-teamed with Will on the Freedom spotlight review. Is there anything specific we didn't address that I might be able to help on? Personally, I'm impressed with the little Ph...

In GEAR » Photon and others-Why Not?
August 11, 4:55pm

Re: Desolation Wilderness sleeping bag choice
Unless it cools off between now and then, the WM UL will be overkill. But you can always leave it unzipped! Right now, your quilt system would be fine. Also, they've been getting afternoon rains...

In GEAR » Desolation Wilderness sleeping bag choice
July 26, 11:25am

All Reader Reviews by Rick Dreher

Showing 1 - 7 of 7 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Mountain Gear
I've placed a few orders with Mountain Gear, going as far back as when they were based in Idaho, and they've responded flawlessly each time. I admire the breadth and high quality of their sele...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 15, 2:03pm

Backcountrygear.com
I have to put in a plug for these folks, with whom I've shopped on line and over the phone, and who also have a store in soggy Eugene, Oregon. They have a great backpacking and climbing selection f...

November 20, 6:47pm

Recreational Equipment, Inc. (REI)
As another Seattle kid who loved few things more than pilgrammages to the Capitol Hill store, I still associate the smell of cresote with hiking gear. It's hard to imagine backpacking without REI. ...

November 20, 6:22pm

Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover
I upgraded to the Micro Puff pullover after several seasons with the old Puffball pullover. Lighter, warmer, stuffs smaller--the Micro Puff is an all-around improvement to what was already a fine garm...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
November 12, 12:53pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Noting the shape isn't the most efficient for squeezing every btu from the stove, the MSR kettle remains a very good single-pot option. It packs nicely, works well with small to medium stoves, pours w...

In Cookware - Titanium
January 15, 12:17pm

MSR SimmerLite
I find the Whisperlite to be MSR's easiest liquid stove to use, and certainly the nicest to lug, bulk and weight-wise. Simmering performance is best with a light touch on the fuel pump--try using l...

In Stoves - White Gas
December 20, 11:46am

Golite Hex 3
I've used a Hex 2, the 3's somewhat smaller brother, with good success for a few seasons. The quarters are a little snug for six-footers, but it's a minor concern. My main complaint is that the ventil...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 28, 8:43pm