Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1451 - 1460 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

good luck
Aside from Brian's comment, I wish you good luck. I would personally use seam sealant as a more realistic approach. McNett Seam Grip is great; you might want to thin it a bit before applying it.

In Make Your Own Gear » taping seams
August 25, 12:38pm

Re: YASST yet another side sleeper thread
I'm a side-sleeper. Overall, my base weight is around 15 pounds--but I carry a 1# 15oz Thermarest Womens Trail Pro for its 2" thickness and comfort. If I'm feeling like I need some ext...

In GEAR » YASST yet another side sleeper thread
August 25, 12:30pm

Welding?
One of my planning-stage projects is a UL tripod for a SLR w/300mm lens. In designing the head, I'm wondering what I'd have to do to put the leg supports on. I might be able to have a block...

In Make Your Own Gear » Welding?
August 23, 11:00am

Re: hidden errors
Yeah, it sure does seem like a lot of down, eh? Ah well. Thanks Allison, I appreciate your comments! I'm doing some research on lighter shell alternatives in this vein, have one possible cho...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk, Baffled, Hooded Down Vest
August 23, 10:52am

Fun Find, Maybe Useful...
A little while ago we were talking about taping ankles, and I brought up the point that--taping on hair could potentially hurt worse than the sprain! I then questioned whether we should add a razor...

In Philosophy & Technique » What's in your first aid kit?
August 23, 10:46am

Re: Re: Re: Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
Hey again- I think one of the important things to remember is that essentially all the moisture in the tent is coming from you. Some of it, yes, will be in the form of snow or damp clothing you br...

In GEAR » Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
August 21, 11:44am

Re: Re: Re: hidden errors
My SummerLite, with 2 ounces of overfill for a total of 11 ounces of fill, should theoretically (per statistics) have the same 4" of total loft as my vest. The pocket area of my vest has 6&quo...

In Make Your Own Gear » Silk, Baffled, Hooded Down Vest
August 21, 9:41am

Re: Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
Hi- I've had many nights that were frost-free-ish, at least as far as on the bag itself. There's frequently at least some frost on the tent wall, or poles on the single wall... But I'd...

In GEAR » Winter/Expedition Sleeping System
August 21, 9:22am

Re: Lightest Wind Vest?
Patagonia Helium--I have one of these, though I'm honestly not sure if it was called Helium then. Also not sure if they still make the vest. But the Helium jacket weighs 2.3 ounces. Cut off the...

In GEAR » Lightest Wind Vest?
August 20, 11:59am

Re: One-Handed Water Purification
I'd check out the ULA Equipment Amigo water filter. Gravity-feed water bag with a Katadyn Hiker-type filter. 7.5 ounces, $45. Only potential one-handed complication I could see is filling the b...

In GEAR » One-Handed Water Purification
August 20, 11:56am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.