BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 1843 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...185

Forum » Thread

Re: Bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
Thanks for the cold weather report on the Bushbuddy. Just out of curiosity, would park regulation permit you to have an actual fire where you camp? Real campfires are allowed where we'll b...

In Winter Hiking » bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
January 22, 1:25pm

Re: winter backpacking gear
I just called Midwest Mountaineering and they're holding their last copy of Mike and Allen's for me to pick up on the way home today:-). Chad has the right idea ... test drive new ideas ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Packpacking Gear?
January 22, 1:15pm

Re: Feb Superior Hiking Trail
I thought that the SHTA hike was in duluth and Jim was talking about doing a separate trip up the shore later on the 23rd. Hi Stuart, my plan was (still is) to drive to Duluth in time for the SH...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Feb Superior Hiking Trail
January 20, 6:56am

Re: Bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
Would you mind continuing your testing in the buff We'll leave that test to Andrew

January 19, 3:58pm

mule tape as bear rope at Philmont
So, I scavenged about 120ft of 1/2inch mule tape after a wiring project where I work. Would it work as bear rope for a full crew at Philmont, I wondered??? ... certainly weighs less than suitable ...

In GEAR » mule tape as bear rope at Philmont
January 19, 1:11pm

bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
It has been a long while since I winter camped but I'm looking forward to joining a couple other MN BPLers on the SHT in late Feb. That has me dithering over a whole new gearlist, including st...

January 19, 12:39pm

Re: cleaning wounds (was medical kit)
Roger, They weren't talking about treating small clean wounds. Oh rats, Dave beat me to it.

In GEAR » Any med people that carry lightweight med kits?
January 18, 9:25pm

cleaning wounds (was medical kit)
WFA courses from both WMI and WMS both teach the above advice of cleaning wounds by forceful irrigation with clean water. I would add that they define clean water as water that is safe to drink,...

In GEAR » Any med people that carry lightweight med kits?
January 18, 3:02pm

Re: current system
for Chad: Any reasons why the Wisperlight didn't work well for melting snow for water? Not enough heat output for melting necessary quantity of water in a reasonable time. But that might n...

January 18, 11:01am

Re: current system
Chad, I can't speak from first hand experience but a good friend who only camps after October and before April (yes, in MN) says that the MSR Whispers are marginal at best for winter if you ...

January 18, 9:43am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am