November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 2031 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...204

Forum » Thread

Re: Lightweight Headware Systems.
does anyone offer free instructions or a pattern for a hat like the rayway hat? i can see its just a simple 3pc shell but Im thinking of a DIY like it using down as insulation. Jan Rezac descri...

In GEAR » Lightweight headwear systems
January 02, 10:51am

Re: Bivy in the Snow
Denis: Nah, we call it "camping season"! Ben: We had the benefit of that being just an overnight outing so we had SOME confidence in the weather forecast. There were five of us out ...

In GEAR » Tarptent Scarp1 (4 season -freestanding)
December 28, 8:03am

Re: Ultralight backpacking gear lists.
Noah, Ditto the comments cheering a scout starting out on the light path! I see that you've also found the Philmont forum here at BPL and that Peter has pointed you to Doug Prosser's ...

In Gear Lists » Ultralight backpacking gear lists.
December 28, 7:31am

Re: UL Tarp poles
Mike's correct, the easton poles sold by GG and most UL shelter vendors do bow easily. I was comfortable with that for solo sized shelters before I started using trekking poles but it DID take...

In GEAR » UL Tarp poles
December 25, 8:29am

Re: 2.5 Climashield XP/Momentum quilt
quilt dimensions?

In Gear Swap » 2.5 Climashield XP/Momentum quilt, ipod Nano, Capilene 1, Sunglasses
December 24, 6:21am

testing 456
so I guess there's no way to quote another post besides copying the text and putting it in quotes "" Does the above accomplish what you want?

In User Test Forum » testing 123
December 23, 11:00am

Re: Sublite features - request for feedback
I don't own Sublite but after my experiences with Squall, Cloudburst, RainShadow and MYOG TT1, it be hard to revert to a shelter that had less view in fair weather bug season not to mention les...

In GEAR » Sublite features - request for feedback
December 22, 3:25pm

Re: Contact Lenses Freezing
I don't wear contacts so know nothing of the topic but just returned from a winter camping weekend (-13F this morning) with one who does. He waits until the last clean opportunity to put them ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Contact Lenses Freezing
December 21, 8:06pm

Re: 4 Season Tarp
You can expect pyramid tarps to do even better with guy-out loops in the center of each panel and about 1/3 way up each edge. That does mean more guy lines and stakes however.

In GEAR » 4 Season Tarp?
December 17, 4:05pm

Re: DIY Instructions
The rolls ARE large! I've insulated my heat ducts with reflectix and have leftover material and tape. If folks really want to make their own (or AGG style pot or water bottle cozies) I can...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cozies and to freezer bag cooking
December 17, 4:01pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am