Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 2630 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...263

Forum » Thread

Re: Bouldering nearest to Vegas / Death Valley
Thank you, Ben, Craig, and especially James - that's exactly what i needed to know. I've printed it all out for reference and found a few Red Rock climbing websites with additional info. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bouldering nearest to Vegas / Death Valley
January 19, 2:19pm

Re: Experiences with satellite phones?
Friends have used them on remote rafting trips. The large engineering firm I work for requires their use at remote sites for safety reasons. They work. But they cost much more per unit, per min...

In GEAR » Experiences with satellite phones?
January 19, 12:49pm

Big cities. North woods.
I totally grasp the financial aspects of avoiding rent on a flat. And gas, electricity, cable TV, landline, water and sewer bills, etc. I see people do that here in Alaska by living, well, like i...

In Philosophy & Technique » Living outdoors full-time in urban areas
January 19, 11:19am

Laminar and turbulent flow
I think you're saying you've got laminar flow where it enters the bottom of the wind screen. If so (did you calc it, or do smoke traces?), fine. But just to be clear - you DON'T want ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Windscreen Design
January 19, 10:57am

Water flow near lake outlet.
I don't know if Tor is still following this thread, but if so: As Alpo suggested, throw some sticks. I'd put some refinements on that suggestion: You want the stick to be bright, so a ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Safe swimming-distance from lake-outflux?
January 18, 4:46pm

Re: I'm never going to Alaska.
You southerners might be even more impressed if you saw a brown bear in the fall. A well-fed bear ready for hibernation has its belly dragging on the ground. The bear in the video - its belly was...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Who needs Bear Spray?
January 18, 4:14pm

Re: still looking
Five years ago, I segued off of a serious photographer friend's extensive research and got the same Pentax Optio W60 for a Grand Canyon float trip because of the extremes of waterproofness and ...

In Photography » Reccomend a camera for me. Quick please ;)
January 18, 3:57pm

Coachsurfing Cook Inlet
Erin, I saw on your website that you're looking both for remote support and in-town hiddiholes. We live of 13 acres on the bluff of Cook Inlet 2.5 miles north of the mouth of the Kenai Rive...

In GEAR » Teeny-tiny sleeping pad?
January 18, 3:45pm

Re: bluff the bear
Erin, Somehow I missed this thread last year. VERY, VERY nice job on handling that bear encounter. My wife also does a great job (1) of noticing food sources / water noise / poor sight lines a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Who needs Bear Spray?
January 18, 3:23pm

Two other possibilities.
Erin: on the sleeping pad Q: While I understand the volume advantages of inflatable pads, a 2-year-old just doesn't need much pad - she'll be a snow-suit sort of thing, right? Multi-purpo...

In GEAR » Teeny-tiny sleeping pad?
January 18, 2:48pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.