Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 2639 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...264

Forum » Thread

Re: Using Alum in the backcountry...calling David Thomas and other science-minded folk
Travis, Grocery store alum is fine. There is no cheaper, more effective way than alum if you have 30-40 minutes to let it settle. It should be the first thing you do as you make camp is to s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Using Alum in the backcountry...calling David Thomas and other science-minded folk
January 22, 5:00am

Re: Dressing for cold: windchill vs. actual temp.
Yes, I would choose clothing differently for an actual temp of 0F (with no wind) and a wind chill of 0F. At 0F, no wind, I'd have more insulation but less continuous wind-blocking layers. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Dressing for cold: windchill vs. actual temp.
January 22, 4:06am

Boy toys
DavidG: If you need something for your late Christmas list, add an IR thermometer. My first one was $150, but they are $30-ish now. Look at ebay, J C Whitney, etc. Here's the take-ho...

In Make Your Own Gear » Titanium Windscreen Design
January 21, 9:49pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Magazine versus clip
> "I did Grenada with the 82nd." Then, as someone who has personally benefitted from (a very competitive student) going to medical school (my wife), thank you for saving all those s...

In Chaff » Newtown -- Who Here Changed His (or Her) Mind?
January 21, 6:56pm

An analogy
>I can now visuallize the boundry layers being in turbulance so that maximum amount of radiant heat is transferred. Great. But a clarification: radiant heat transfer (by photons like visibl...

January 20, 7:34pm

Turbulent flow
For high temperature gases, much of the heat transfer will be by radiant photons from incandescent gases - that's true in the visible range but more importantly in the infrared. In that regime...

January 20, 3:57pm

Re: Re: Two other possibilities.
"we really do have to squeeze everything (and maybe up to a week or more of food) in one pack plus a few subsidiary pouches." Been there, done that. Not on the scale or scope of your ...

In GEAR » Teeny-tiny sleeping pad?
January 20, 2:03pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Kickstarter & BPL
Eugene: LOL. "Lance had to give both" - which was twice as many as he had after his testicular surgery in 1996. Winfrey on the other hand. . .

In Chaff » Packrafting, Kickstarter and BPL
January 19, 11:43pm

Years and sex. By which I mean age and gender.
Hiking is a sport that ages well. Decades ago, I had my butt kicked by 80 year olds on various summits and ski slopes. I'm halfway towards becoming that 80 year old. On gender: I tried a...

In Philosophy & Technique » Women and men on the trail
January 19, 5:12pm

Re: Bouldering nearest to Vegas / Death Valley
Thank you, Ben, Craig, and especially James - that's exactly what i needed to know. I've printed it all out for reference and found a few Red Rock climbing websites with additional info. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Bouldering nearest to Vegas / Death Valley
January 19, 2:19pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.