BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 2555 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...256

Forum » Thread

Do you need volunteers?
I too, moderate on other forums and would be happy to have a "delete" button for these clear-cut cases. I DON'T want to police other issues, but as has been pointed out, there's ...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » site being hacked
October 15, 3:57pm

Calc'd weights were 2% high.
cut&paste from wikipedia: Generally, Ti-6Al-4V is used in applications up to 400 degrees Celsius. It has a density of roughly 4420 kg/m3, Young's modulus of 110 GPa, and tensile strength...

In Gear Deals » Titanium Rod for DIY Projects
October 15, 3:46pm

Calc'd weights. Well, mass really, not sure what your local acceleration is.
Bob, Assuming those diameters are exact and the alloy is close to titanium's density of 4.506, then I calculate 4.1, 9.1, and 16.3 grams per 18" rod, respectively. Times 10 for the pac...

In Gear Deals » Titanium Rod for DIY Projects
October 15, 3:29pm

Yep. Especially south of the border.
I've still got a simple, light one by Caribou. They had a range of basic daypacks and bookbags in medium-weight packcloth without tons of features or goo-gahs on them. Alas, selling $19 daypa...

In GEAR » Do you use a fanny or lumbar pack?
October 15, 12:14am

Re: How many BPL members have you met?
Having hopped on a plane? About 10 at the Grand Canyon R2R2R. Around town or on the local trails? None. Dena is, I think, the closest in Alaska. Which is akin to being in NYC and the nearest...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How many BPL members have you met?
October 14, 6:27pm

Re: ice axe weight considerations
I don't do vertical ice and have carried an ice axe many times for stablity and in case the conditions iced up and what is typically a pretty benign, soft, slope became nasty and I wanted self-...

In Winter Hiking » ice axe weight considerations
October 12, 5:13pm

Polyethylene over vinyl
For a tubing that is lighter than vinyl, you could use the milky-white, thin-wall polyethylene tubing such as is sold for connecting ice makers. Almost anything in a small diameter will handle the...

In Make Your Own Gear » Heat shrink tubing instead of vinyl tubing for gravity filter?
October 12, 10:19am

Re: Re: "Deodorant in a chapstick tube"
Roger, for a smart guy, you seem to have mixed up the functions of deodorants and antiperspirants. Killing bacteria whose byproducts smell bad is one effect and is different that stopping sweating ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Deodorant in a chapstick tube
October 10, 10:19pm

Re: spam
Agreed. I moderate a much more sensitive forum and have annoted many co-moderators. Everyone does only as much as they are sure of. Deleting such obvious spam is low-hanging fruit. High-functi...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » site being hacked
October 10, 10:13pm

Fuels
Ross, I agree with your points, except I'd say that gasoline is CONTAINER-efficient rather than fuel efficient. Propane takes a pound of steel per pound of fuel. Butane less, gasoline even le...

In GEAR » Flame on
October 08, 11:28pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.