Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 3127 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...313

Forum » Thread

Cook/no cook weight and time and temperatue difference
If you can go with dry to pretty dry foods for no-cook menus, then, yes, total weight will be less. Cost will certainly be lower than FD food, but pasta, quinoa, rice, dried beans, etc, are cheap,...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » cook/no cook weight difference
August 25, 1:24am

Re: Packrafting Yakutat, Alaska
Ike, Great write up. You write well (and humorously), capturing much of the feel of the place, wild and otherwise. I've gone to Yakutat for work as well and often sleep in the Anchorage ai...

In Post-Trip Reports » Packrafting Yakutat, Alaska
August 24, 5:23pm

Re: "Into the Wild"
"McCandless needed psychological help. . . . he continued . . . in Alaska. " Jeffery, That describes so many people who moved up here!

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Into the Wild
August 24, 5:11pm

Re: How long do packrafts last?
>"How necessary is it to buy dry suits? . . . .Could we use the rain gear that we backpack with anyway?" That all depends on the weather and the water temperatures. Raingear wo...

In Packrafting » How long do packrafts last?
August 24, 5:09pm

Re: Re: Re: here's the best how to survive a bear attack
Daryl: Yes, I'll try to channel Erin's calmness the next time I'm facing down a grizzly. No, Hig and Erin go UL to SUL and carry spray but no gun (6-7 pounds you can't eat, we...

In GEAR » Warding off black bears, what has worked for you??
August 24, 12:32pm

McCandless completely underestimated the skills and knowledge needed.
>"and wasted nearly the whole animal because he didn't know how to preserve the meat." +1 Buck. When I got up here 15 years ago, I was great at temperate-climate hiking and b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Into the Wild
August 24, 12:21pm

Re: Getting ciagarette smell out of tent
A co-worker borrowed my JanSport Yellowstone done tent in 1983 and his burnout daughter slept (and smoked) in it. He was really apologetic and had a sent off to a cleaning service, one that specia...

In GEAR » Getting ciagarette smell out of tent
August 24, 12:19am

Re: Re: Re: Canister stove ignition options
>"I've had trouble with ordinary paper matches burning above 15,000 feet." Just pry the oxygen generator out of the overhead compartment on your next flight. But seriously, i...

In GEAR » Canister stove ignition options
August 23, 4:54pm

Iceland mini report
>"I hear that one can hike right out the door of Reykjavik airport." True, that. But it is a bit of a moonscape on that SW peninsula that used to be the US base. But from Kefl...

In Post-Trip Reports » Greenland
August 23, 4:41pm

Re: bucketlist
Speaking of northern bucket lists, we finally got to Iceland. Just for a 4-day layover while returning from Europe (IcelandAir offers layovers at no added charge). We'll be back for a week or...

In Post-Trip Reports » Greenland
August 23, 1:08pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.