BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 2432 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...244

Forum » Thread

Me and Hanta Virus
I have a number of reactions to this, one of which is that stuff happens and that critters live in the woods. Another thought is: Am I some kind of a Hanta Virus magnet?!? That first big outbre...

In Chaff » Hanta Virus in Yosemite
August 30, 2:05pm

Hanta Virus in Yosemite
Here's the text of the email that I was sent because 2 weeks ago we stayed in Curry Village: You are receiving this letter to advise you of a public health matter that has been brought to ou...

In Chaff » Hanta Virus in Yosemite
August 30, 1:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Sounds a lot like the AMC formula
Robert, I agree with your observation, "mainly by post-retirees does day hikes that are more than twice as long" as, morep pithily, "age and treachery beat youth and beauty every...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How fast to you hike?
August 29, 10:49pm

Re: what does ggg stand for?
I see GGG used on BPL and laugh a little each time, because the sex advice columnist Dan Savage advocates that people be "GGG" - good, giving and game while in bed.

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?
August 29, 10:36pm

Oh, THAT kind of vacuum sealer
Here I was, thinking I could contribute something (having vacuum sealed 35 sockeye salmon, a handful of halibut and various smoked fish and mammal jerky this summer). Never mind. I return you now...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Vacuum sealer
August 29, 5:28pm

Re: Sounds a lot like the AMC formula
"David -- I'm surprised at your experience that descent should get counted the same as ascent." Robert: I'll grant that the ENERGY expended going down a mild slope is less than...

August 29, 4:59pm

Re: How fast do you hike?
4 mph in dayhike or UL mode. By which I mean 4 *equivilent* miles per hour. My equivilent miles = horizontal distance plus 10 x vertical distance (up AND down). eq. miles = miles + twice the...

August 29, 12:25pm

Re: Hiker killed by grizzly in Denali
Troy, I agree on the comments thread on another article I read - sure, many articles garner pretty stupid comments, but, WOW, this subject sure causes people to shoot from the hip about gun control...

In GEAR » Hiker killed by grizzly in Denali
August 26, 10:46pm

Re: Solar chargers? not for me. Extra batteries.
I'm really hesitant to open up my iPhone to exchange batteries, but for compact cameras, I learned long ago to look on eBay, find a Taiwan vendor of extra batteries, and order however many I ne...

In GEAR » Solar chargers?
August 23, 10:56pm

Re: Backpacking in winter and being bored?
My wife brings her knitting to long medical conferences. I bring technical journals one way. That is to say once I've read them, I toss them (or maybe tear out a few of the best articles. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking in winter and being bored?
August 22, 2:34pm

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.