Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

David Thomas (DavidinKenai) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale North Woods. Far North.
About Me David Thomas has not added a biography yet.
CityKenai
StateAlaska
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by David Thomas

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 3085 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ...309

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Sap residue from fire
+1 on Jason's soap thought. I forgot about that from my Boy Scout days but it really, really works. The thinnest film of soapy water, allowed to dry, will let the soot and creosote be wiped o...

In GEAR » Sap residue on pot from twig fire
August 20, 9:58am

From my days in the stove shop.
When you burn wood, you are boiling lots of different compounds out of the wood. Lots of water, plus various organic molecules - turpentine being one dominant range of compounds in conifers, but t...

In GEAR » Sap residue on pot from twig fire
August 20, 9:53am

Fresh fish
Like Stephen says, fish which were "were caught a day or longer before" don't curl so much. Come to think of it, I've noticed that, too. Right from beach, is when they curl the ...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 6:26pm

My goto synthetic t-shirt.
I've used these around town, in the gym and on the trail: http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-underwear/83009.aspx "Diamond-knit 93% nylon/7% spandex for lightweight stretch...

In GEAR » Quest for T shirt
August 19, 6:21pm

DIY ideas
Nordic ski poles from Goodwill and a hacksaw: about $5 per pair. A 36- or 48-inch hardwood dowel, 7/16" or 1/2" from Home Depot: $1.75 each. Cut to length. 10 inches of webbing for ...

In GEAR » Kids Hiking Poles with Rubber Tips?
August 19, 4:20pm

Re: fish related questions
Dispatching: Kosher meat is bled out (using a sharp knife). Salmon meat quality (we catch 35 sockeye each year) and storage life is much better if you bleed the fish. Break gills on one or both ...

In Fishing » fish related questions
August 19, 4:13pm

Real stairs.
The highest return on my time investment is climbing stairs. Actual stairs. NOT a Stair-Master - your body weight doesn't move up the treadmill, just your legs go up a steeper slope. Actual ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Good workouts for backpacking?
August 19, 4:04pm

Desensitize Sarah. Train the kids.
Any phobia can be minimized and often eliminated through repeated exposure in calm, relaxed settings. You are okay in the city. Great. Go to a county park, or whatever is the edge of your comfort ...

In Philosophy & Technique » How do I deal with my fear?
August 09, 12:16am

Re: Battery life in cold temps
15F ain't cold (says the Alaskan). Alkalines are okay if you're a little careful with them (in an inner jacket pocket, for instance). Fully cooled to 15F and their output is much less. UV...

In Philosophy & Technique » Battery life in cold temps
August 08, 2:04pm

Re: Cover-up is better
Randy: +1. As a guy who has had 6 skin cancers carved off me (age 52) and with an MD wife: YES, we know bad burns correlate to skin cancer. We know sunscreen prevents bad burns. But we puzzle o...

In GEAR » Sunscreen
August 08, 11:24am

All Reader Reviews by David Thomas

David Thomas has posted no reviews.