Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1441 - 1450 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

Forum » Thread

Hood!
Just adding to the overwhelming majority, here--definitely with hood. If you need something to cut the wind, reduce heat loss, whatever, you lose a ton of heat through your head. Hoods make sense a...

In GEAR » Windshirt preference poll - hooded or not
September 04, 3:28pm

Re: Advice on light, bugproof tent for 2-3 person use above treeline
Maybe I'm nuts. But if I were looking primarily for a tent that'll withstand strong winds and bad rainstorms, a tarptent isn't where I'd be looking. A potential option or two: I'...

In GEAR » Advice on light, bugproof tent for 2-3 person use above treeline
September 04, 10:42am

Re: picts of my gear
Thomas, you've made your gear very nicely! I especially like the hood, hat, mittens, myself. Also noticed that it looks like you finished the zipper on your Whitney really well. Mine doesn'...

In Make Your Own Gear » picts of my gear
September 04, 10:06am

Re: Defective Cuben Fiber?
Hi, all- Thought I'd post a couple pics of the torn cuben. I was going to buy a bunch of yardage to make a tent, but if it tears this easily, no way... Any others experience something like t...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber - Q&A
September 04, 9:16am

How to Box Quilt
I don't know how they'd do it in a factory, but this should do the trick: 1) Stitch baffling to one shell. For cross baffles just stitch right over the existing. 2) Where the baffles ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Box quilting
August 29, 8:54am

Re: Low Fiddle Tarp
Everyone has different preferences and experiences about these things. Personally, I've found flat tarps to be far less fiddle-prone than cat tarps. I can rig a flat tarp tautly, without really...

In GEAR » Low Fiddle Tarp
August 29, 8:32am

Re: Box quilting
Allison- So weird you posted this. I was just trying to figure out the same thing last night... no brilliant ideas yet. Brad

In Make Your Own Gear » Box quilting
August 27, 3:20pm

Re: Re: Defective Cuben Fiber?
Hi Bill, My "sample" piece is about 6" x 48" or so. There's a seam about 12" in from each end--and a thicker line that could be one in the middle? Does the cuben som...

August 25, 2:42pm

Defective Cuben Fiber?
I just ordered and received my first bit of Cuben to play with, the .33oz from Quest. Even after reading everything I could online and preparing myself, I wasn't quite prepared for just how lig...

August 25, 1:16pm

Re: Re: Welding?
Ahhh- I forgot the vital "ingredient" and question under the question. I was going to make it out of titanium. But for something like this (0.25" thick, 2.25" diameter, plus leg...

In Make Your Own Gear » Welding?
August 25, 12:41pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.