BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1431 - 1440 of 1860 | Page: 1 ...135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: 70d silicone fabric for tent and bivy bottoms
Another possibility ... This article at Jim Wood's Basecamp contains a suggestion for making std sylnylon tougher and more waterproof ... at a cost of about 0.75 oz per square yard (a bivy I ma...

In Make Your Own Gear » fabric for bivy bottom - impregnated vs coated
March 27, 12:04pm

Re: How dangerous is thru-hiking?
The following appeared in a recent posting on yahoo's "hiker" group. "If you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances,...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How dangerous is thru-hiking?
March 25, 12:09pm

Re: Repair Tent Floor hole.
John, If it is silnylon, the prevailing wisdom is that you must use a silicon based adhesive like McNett SilNet or GE Silicon Sealer II to glue a patch made of silnylon. McNett SilFix sold at ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Repair Tent Floor hole.
March 22, 9:50pm

Re: Bringing your scale into a gear shop
the oldest gear shop in our town is owned by a couple who are active UL evangelists. There are days then Rod's "pack" could make Ray Jardine's load look like a pack mule's.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why people gotta hate on the UL crowd?
March 11, 8:18pm

Re: Squall Classic vs. Contrail"
Ditto what Roleigh said about the RainShadow 2 ... it is palatial! An unexpected side benefit of all that room is that it seems to make it easier to talk others out of their tents. I've ma...

In GEAR » Squall Classic vs. Contrail
March 11, 1:07pm

Re: Why people gotta hate on the UL crowd?
I probably shouldn't jump in on this, especially just a few hours before I drop off the net for a week but no matter how hard I bite my tongue, sometimes it slips loose ... In the lyrics bel...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Why people gotta hate on the UL crowd?
March 01, 8:33pm

Re: Dacron Guylines
Early in my trip towards the light I found "Southwest Ultralight Backpacking" a website by Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl (who write articles here). They suggested 100 lb test braided d...

In Make Your Own Gear » Dacron Guylines
February 28, 8:55pm

Re: Don't discount your own experince
It can be useful to take the "shape" of Roman's conclusions and calibrate them to your own experience. I camped with Chad and some others last weekend and I'd have to expect ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How light is light enough?
February 28, 1:51pm

Re: Making a real hipbelt
Is the GG thin light pad relatively rigid? Nope, it is definitely not. Haven't seen a ULA Circuit so I can't say what might be similar.

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a real hipbelt
February 22, 4:50pm

Re: 180
180 grams per square meter is about 5.3 ounces per square yard. My experience to date with an MYOG quilt and balaclava made using 6 ounce per square yard PL1 seem to be in line with Steve'...

In GEAR » UL 60 Quilt...
February 22, 9:22am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am