BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1431 - 1440 of 1852 | Page: 1 ...135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 ...186

Forum » Thread

Re: Making a real hipbelt
Is the GG thin light pad relatively rigid? Nope, it is definitely not. Haven't seen a ULA Circuit so I can't say what might be similar.

In Make Your Own Gear » Making a real hipbelt
February 22, 4:50pm

Re: 180
180 grams per square meter is about 5.3 ounces per square yard. My experience to date with an MYOG quilt and balaclava made using 6 ounce per square yard PL1 seem to be in line with Steve'...

In GEAR » UL 60 Quilt...
February 22, 9:22am

Re: Slow Travel
So much wisdom at such a young age! Also, very "dangerous" reading for me (he-he). I wouldn't assign exclusive blame (or credit) for the emphasis on the fast in fast&light t...

In Editor's Roundtable » Slow Travel
February 20, 3:29pm

Re: Cheap snow stakes
Note: be VERY careful cutting holes in metal sheet goods, as the bit will grab the metal and start it spinning, and you can slice your hand up pretty badly. Best to always clamp sheet metal when dr...

In Editor's Roundtable » Make Your Own Gear: Titanium Snow Stakes
February 16, 6:25am

Re: Interferance
Does the firesteel ... mess with the compass' ability to work accurately? Apparently not, although I WAS able to get a small deflection by waving the firesteel very close (<1/4 inch) over...

In Make Your Own Gear » Make your own firesteel
February 14, 2:24am

Re: Feeding your PG Stove
Joshua, can you elaborate on what you mean by "batch-load" I might understand but want to be sure.

In Multiple Use Gear » Custom Size Tri-Ti Calderas are Coming!
February 12, 8:38am

Re: Why is the Pole Bowing?
Methinks the guying is way too tight if the vertical tent pole is bowing! 'tis the cost of getting a taut pitch for the picture ... tends to happen with my beloved HS TarpTents too and I wou...

In GEAR » Gossamer Gear "The One" Video
February 04, 4:36pm

Re: Tent Support
Never heard of a Sky Hook? Actually, look again, the pic with the vestibule rolled up shows a pole. It is not straight (compressed into a bow by guy line tension). Just to the right of the ver...

February 04, 2:51pm

Re: Gossamer Gear "The One" Video
Very interesting! Must be using spinnaker cloth to get that light (ala their Squall Classic). More choices are great even if I am a diehard HS fan. It's also personally encouraging in tha...

February 04, 10:58am

Re: kids
This thread is triggering good memories of youngsters on trips. First time my brother brought his youngest on our then annual Memorial Day weekend BWCAW trip we had him carry a couple paddles an...

In Chaff » Backpacking with an eight year old
January 31, 2:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am