BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1421 - 1430 of 1821 | Page: 1 ...134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ...183

Forum » Thread

Re: Feb Superior Hiking Trail
I thought that the SHTA hike was in duluth and Jim was talking about doing a separate trip up the shore later on the 23rd. Hi Stuart, my plan was (still is) to drive to Duluth in time for the SH...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Feb Superior Hiking Trail
January 20, 6:56am

Re: Bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
Would you mind continuing your testing in the buff We'll leave that test to Andrew

In Winter Hiking » bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
January 19, 3:58pm

mule tape as bear rope at Philmont
So, I scavenged about 120ft of 1/2inch mule tape after a wiring project where I work. Would it work as bear rope for a full crew at Philmont, I wondered??? ... certainly weighs less than suitable ...

In GEAR » mule tape as bear rope at Philmont
January 19, 1:11pm

bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
It has been a long while since I winter camped but I'm looking forward to joining a couple other MN BPLers on the SHT in late Feb. That has me dithering over a whole new gearlist, including st...

In Winter Hiking » bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
January 19, 12:39pm

Re: cleaning wounds (was medical kit)
Roger, They weren't talking about treating small clean wounds. Oh rats, Dave beat me to it.

In GEAR » Any med people that carry lightweight med kits?
January 18, 9:25pm

cleaning wounds (was medical kit)
WFA courses from both WMI and WMS both teach the above advice of cleaning wounds by forceful irrigation with clean water. I would add that they define clean water as water that is safe to drink,...

In GEAR » Any med people that carry lightweight med kits?
January 18, 3:02pm

Re: current system
for Chad: Any reasons why the Wisperlight didn't work well for melting snow for water? Not enough heat output for melting necessary quantity of water in a reasonable time. But that might n...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Packpacking Gear?
January 18, 11:01am

Re: current system
Chad, I can't speak from first hand experience but a good friend who only camps after October and before April (yes, in MN) says that the MSR Whispers are marginal at best for winter if you ...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Packpacking Gear?
January 18, 9:43am

Andrew's two new solo tarps
Very nice to see a tarp maker acknowledge that extra side guy out points should be a standard feature. A question about the dual ridgeline model ... is there a single seam down the middle or a s...

In Gear Swap » FS: tarp with vestibule
January 17, 2:09pm

Re: Sarah's Tater Tuesday
And a question. Would "burger rocks" (dehydrated cooked burger) work OK where you specify flavored TVP?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Did I miss Tater Tuesday?
January 16, 3:47pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am