BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1421 - 1430 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: UL Chocolate Lab!!
One of the dogs I take with me is a Lab mix. His cold tolerance isn't that great. I've found that my size medium vests fit him surpisingly well (say 70-90 pound range). Depending on expecte...

In Philosophy & Technique » UL Chocolate Lab!!
October 11, 5:30pm

Random Trivia
I was tinkering in the basement last night putting together this stove, was wondering about something I had laying around to use as a pot support for initial tests. If any of you have an old Svea 1...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Inverted Downdraft Woodgas Stove - My Attempt
October 11, 8:53am

Re: Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
Barry, Allison- You're absolutely right. My notations were off. Trying to decipher how/why, I think that I saw some web references to about 2/3 to 3/4 oz per 2 cups. I tend to be a bit cynic...

In GEAR » Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
October 09, 5:43pm

Re: Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
Hey, all- I'd been reading and considering all your input; just realized that I never responded to it or thanked you. I know 6 cups seems like a lot of water to some. I boil 1.5 cups for ...

October 09, 1:47pm

Tunnel tents
I've had tarps hit by high (40-50 mph) winds and not had problems--but if I'm expecting weather like that, I take a tent. An extra pound or two is a pretty cheap insurance policy, IMHO. I&#...

In GEAR » tarp use in high winds
October 09, 9:31am

Re: framed or frameless pack?
If you're wondering whether a frameless pack will be supportive enough, it probably won't be-IMO. If we take a step back from strictly counting grams, and instead consider the whole equatio...

In GEAR » framed or frameless pack?
October 09, 8:56am

Justify Alcohol Stove Total Weight?
I'm stumped. All sorts of people sing high praises about the super-duper lightness of alcohol stoves. When I crunch the numbers, though, I can only get them to be lighter for weekend trips. ...

October 04, 1:18pm

Re: Underwear solutions?
I use Icebreaker (merino) boxer briefs; I think the weight is their 150. I've used a number of different synthetics (and cottons, though not on trail!), and these merino boxer briefs are by far...

In GEAR » Underwear solutions?
October 04, 8:21am

Re: Lightweight Camp Footwear
We have some foam Keen sandals in the shop; I just went down and weighed them. 3.5-4.0 ounces for one sandal. I can't imagine something similar weighing less than these...

In GEAR » Lightweight Summer Camp Shoe Ideas
October 03, 3:26pm

Costs, benefits
Just as a consideration, if you wanted to make a 20 degree quilt w/850 FP down, current cost just for the down (at ~15 ounces, rounded up) is $125. Material such as Momentum, at ~14/yard, using abo...

In GEAR » Quilt cost - I don't get it.......
September 27, 12:30pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.