BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 1560 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: why no synthetic down copies
Three insulation products are polyester synthetic down copies. They are Primaloft One, Primaloft Sport, and Exceloft.

In Make Your Own Gear » down compressibility
November 13, 4:21pm

Re: Crescent Moon Neoprene OverBootie
My pair weighs 10 oz. I wear them with a pair of size 10.5 Gore-Tex trail runners and gaiters. My feet have never been cold or wet snowshoeing with them in the Sierras.

In GEAR » Crescent Moon Neoprene OverBootie
November 12, 6:50pm

Re: Re: optimizing backpacking menu
John-I agree with you. I only go through this type of food planning exercise for my multi-week expeditions. In my case that is at least once per year for trips averaging 6 weeks in duration; mos...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » optimizing backpacking menu
November 10, 5:49am

Re: optimizing backpacking menu
I want am not formally trained in physiology. Most of my knowledge comes from having prepared for numerous expeditions. Secondarily, I am also doing some related research for my business start-up. ...

November 09, 8:50pm

Re: Your questions
The Balance Bar adhesive is water soluble. Even storing them in high humidity will allow the adhesive to loosen.

In Philosophy & Technique » Your questions needed for new BPL column
November 08, 8:18pm

I will address your last question first. Don’t “…pack another 2.5-3# of lard around my (your) middle”. You will get 3,500C from every fat pound around your middle and 4,000C from every fat ...

November 08, 7:21pm

Re: warmth comparison of insulating jackets
Den-This site has excellent reviews of all lightweight jackets. They specify the loft as opposed to a temperature rating. No other site, that I am aware of, provides this valuable information. The ...

In GEAR » warmth comparison of insulating jackets
November 08, 12:47am

Tom-I recalcuated the numbers and discovered I screwed up on my original post yesterday. I went back today and corrected the original post numbers. I shouldn't have checked my numbers before I post...

November 06, 11:41pm

Sam-Yes

November 06, 11:11am

Tom-A unit of metabolic equivalent, or MET, is defined as the number of calories consumed per minute in an activity relative to the basal metabolic rate (BMR). A single unit (1 MET) is the caloric ...

November 05, 9:53pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm