BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
StateCA
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 1573 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...158

Forum » Thread

Re: Theoretical Unsupported Hiking
Ron-Thank you for your valuable contribution of characterizing the relative trail surfaces for the AT, CDT, and PCT. I will factor in your AT trail surface characterization and rerun the model. ...

In Philosophy & Technique » Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
November 24, 3:27pm

Re: Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
I tested the average female, as defined by ISO 8996 (2004), in my AT simulator. It shows 758 miles as the limit for unsupported travel.

November 24, 8:01am

Re: Unsupported/Thru-Hikes

November 22, 4:13pm

Re: Unsupported/Thru-Hikes
In summary this analysis, concurs with Ryan’s assessment that the AT can be done unsupported in three segments by using ultra-light backpacking equipment and techniques. The first chart is a c...

November 22, 3:53pm

Re: Fabric Question for Richard
Bill-The silk is fine. The insulation value is effectively the same for both fabrics. Besides that, there is negligible insulation contribution from either fabric. All they do is protect the ins...

In Make Your Own Gear » Primaloft One - 1.8 per sq yard
November 19, 10:32pm

Re: Re: Re: Unsupported/Unresupplied/Thru-Hikes
Roman, Based on what you accomplished during the Artic 1000, your capabilities are obviously at the very elite end of the athletic spectrum… congratulations for your achievement. I don't have ...

November 18, 4:05pm

John-I am not formally trained in any of the disciplines that I post to the forum on. My degree is a BS in Information Systems Management. My resume includes 14 years in software engineering follow...

November 18, 9:31am

Bill-In between planning for your: four resupply orgies, book signings, pod casts, TV interviews, etc, etc <grin> I need one additional key piece of information from you or someone that has d...

November 17, 10:31pm

Sam-In laymen’s terms: RER-This stands for respiratory equivalence ratio. A participant wears a mask and sits on an exercise bike. As they pedal, the mask captures the amount of oxygen they a...

November 17, 9:47pm

Bill-I will use your profile as one of the test cases. To do a complete AT analysis, I need someone who has hiked the AT to provide the distances and a summary of the trail segment types and I will...

November 17, 7:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm