Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 1883 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...189

Forum » Thread

Re: superior hiking trail
Jim - You're good There aren't too many wide open river views on the trail. That segment was my first SHT experience and remains my favorite. I've walked it 4, maybe 5 times, most ...

In Post-Trip Reports » superior hiking trail
May 27, 9:39pm

Re: superior trail
Vicki: Once the peak skeeter population passes (varies with each year's climate) each succeeding week generally sees fewer biting insect's than the one before. Late July better than early...

In Post-Trip Reports » superior hiking trail
May 27, 11:15am

Re: Any Good Trails in North/Central WI?
Tim: While it isn't my idea of an ideal HIKING trail, you might find the railroad tunnels of the Sparta-Elroy bike trail worth a visit. Definitely more scenic than your average midwestern con...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Any Good Trails in North/Central WI?
May 27, 2:16am

Re: rope
If you bring rope, do you get grief over it? We brought a combo of nylon rope and mule tape in 2007. Got no grief as long as we used their approach of hanging from two separately tied ropes. A...

In Philmont » Backpacking Light @ Philmont
May 23, 10:31am

Re: combining a hippack with a frameless pack?
I used a size medium Golite Breeze riding on top of a pretty sturdy 700ci lumbar pack for a couple years. I liked the setup but have since switched to GG Virga which weighs about half what the two...

In GEAR » combining a hippack with a frameless pack?
May 21, 8:02am

Re: Thickness of ThinLight Pad for Legs?
I bought a 60" long 1/8" thinlight in a successful attempt to prove that I want more padding than that. Afterwards I cut it in half then joined the pieces with duct tape, making it easy ...

In GEAR » Thickness of ThinLight Pad for Legs?
May 20, 12:15pm

Re: Winter canister stove warmer idea.
I should also have remembered to ask your definition of cold conditions ... 35F is cold for some folks but very different than 0F. Also, which fuel? On a recent BSA outing we were using a two b...

In Make Your Own Gear » Winter canister stove warmer idea.
May 19, 9:07am

Re: Winter canister stove warmer idea.
that kind of idea was mentioned in a forum article here a few years ago. I don't recall much discussion or the submitter giving detail on performance. 50C seems a little warm for that use ....

In Make Your Own Gear » Winter canister stove warmer idea.
May 19, 6:33am

Re: Light Bear Ropes
Douglas, Maybe you meant 7/64 inch? (is 2.5 mm). $0.22/ft here http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=38345F&WT.mc_id=gb1

May 15, 9:22pm

Re: Trek 23
Phil, About your Virga ... Philmont tends to discourage solo tenting. Might be worth contacting them b4 you leave. I shared a RainShadow with our scoutmaster on trek 20 in 2007. It attracte...

May 14, 5:57pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am