BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 1822 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...183

Forum » Thread

Re: Water storage?
Anyways my question is about storing water overnight. I placed water in two nalgene bottles (forgive me, light weight water storage to come!) and placed them upside down in a snow bank. I then cove...

In Winter Hiking » Winter Packpacking Gear?
January 31, 10:51am

Re: Fins and weights
Hi Ed - I worked with Ed Bouffard on the article and will see if I can dig up a picture of the fins. Ed's website has a photo of the fins kit not installed. Click on "products and pa...

In Editor's Roundtable » Take the Load Off: Using Pulks to Travel Over Snow
January 31, 10:45am

Re: A-pulking I will go. . .
Chad, Sounds great, I'll enjoy "going to school" on your experience;-) You might want to check out skipulk.com This guy is more or less the Bill Fornshell of the MYOG skipulk...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Feb Superior Hiking Trail
January 29, 1:14pm

Re: bivy & tarp vs. tent
Your weight comparison seems to hinge on getting double use from your poncho tarp. Having to remove your rain gear to set up your shelter when it's already raing is a drag, and it also makes mi...

In GEAR » bivy & tarp vs. tent
January 26, 9:28am

Re: Winter Packpacking Gear?
I'll be sewing up a set of snow stakes this weekend as well (just have to get more grosgrain from the fabric store tonight). I didn't bother with grosgrain at all. Here is what I did: ...

January 25, 4:13pm

Re: bivy & tarp vs. tent
Mark, You've obviously formed your preference from a thoughtful eval after a reasonable number of poncho-tarp field trials ... just the kinda guy I want to hear from as I'm planning on t...

In GEAR » bivy & tarp vs. tent
January 25, 11:00am

Re: Snow stakes?
Chad, I am expecting them to work in MN ... they've been recommended in multiple winter camping how-to talks by folks who do it here. HERE is an example. It doesn't say the dimensio...

January 24, 12:59pm

Re: Dehydrating chicken
Btw, on the chicken do use canned - it rehydrates nicely safe to assume that includes chicken "canned" in a foil pouch?

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Tater Tuesday: Chicken Ranch Tater Trash-erole
January 23, 1:59pm

Re: Cuben Fiber 4 dual use footprint/poncho
Some folks use a tent floor liner instead of a footprint. I preach that to our scouts, telling them that there are two kinds of tenters 1) those who use groundcloths 2) those who use liners and ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Cuben Fiber 4 dual use footprint/poncho
January 22, 1:39pm

Re: Bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
Thanks for the cold weather report on the Bushbuddy. Just out of curiosity, would park regulation permit you to have an actual fire where you camp? Real campfires are allowed where we'll b...

In Winter Hiking » bushbuddy stove as a snow melter
January 22, 1:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am