BPL Community Profile

Luke Schmidt (Cameron) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale The WOODS
About Me Pursuing Christ, relationships, and adventure in that order. Nicknamed "Chief" because I grew up with a tribe of vegetarian cannibals on a small island off the coast of Iowa.
CityMidland TX
StateTexas
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://westtexasmountainman.wordpress.com/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Luke Schmidt

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 2075 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...208

Forum » Thread

Re Doin it
Jeff if you're still there one more idea. Take some Motrin or Ibeprofin (whichever one reduces swelling). If you're in decent shape there's no reason you can't walke 18 miles in a...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Backpacker - 30 miles?
January 06, 9:27pm

Go for it
I think you'll be fine on the trip. I think 18 miles will be a long day for you but you should be perfectly capable of doing it. Last summer I hiked about 17 miles in a day. That was probabl...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » New Backpacker - 30 miles?
January 06, 7:25pm

Sewing
I've sewn something like 7 packs with the Dyneema X from thru-hiker. Sharp scissers are nice for sure. Sometimes my needles break for no apparent reason in the stuff. I think they are gettin...

In Make Your Own Gear » Difference between Seattle Fabrics White Widow Spectra and Thru-Hikers Dyneema X Gridstop
January 06, 3:04pm

Crazy Boy Scouts
I was on my first SUL attempt (well not quit SUL but I got close) and my brother was on his first UL trip with all his stuff in a daypack. We camped next to a group of boys scouts with their heavy...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » What is the strangest thing you ever saw in the backcountry?
January 06, 2:55pm

Mtn. Rogers with kids
Its been kinda slow here lately so in an attempt to contribute something positive I’m going to dig up some old trips. Here’s a trip report from this past Easter when I was visiting family and ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Mtn. Rogers with kids
January 06, 11:14am

Re Metabolism will be different
Good point form Eric. I can't prove it but my experience is I sleep a lot colder when I'm going to bed exausted.

In GEAR » Why am I freezing?
January 06, 9:37am

How to lie with statistics
My brother found a book title "How to Lie with Statistics" (I'll be a cynic and guess its probably a bestseller in D.C)

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alone in a vast Alaskan wilderness, seven teens fend off a grizzly bear—then try to stay alive
January 06, 9:33am

Re Re Re Thankful Thread
Good idea Travis I'm thankful that... I went through experiences that were tough at the time but they made me a stronger person in the end. I live in a country that for all its fault...

In Chaff » The Thankful Thread
January 06, 9:28am

Statistics
You can easily compare the probablity that a person in Montana will diee in a car wreck vs. a bear attack by dividing the number of bear attacks and car deaths by the population of the state (accou...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Alone in a vast Alaskan wilderness, seven teens fend off a grizzly bear—then try to stay alive
January 06, 9:14am

Re Guns
Ben guns have been a hot topic around here at times so I won't repeat those threads. Regardless of what you think of guns most knowledgeable people would now argue that bear spray is actually ...

January 06, 9:02am

All Reader Reviews by Luke Schmidt

Luke Schmidt has posted no reviews.