BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1411 - 1420 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ...156

Forum » Thread

Re: Stove choices
IMHO, white gas stoves get a bad rap. Look, the reality is that there's a 4-ounce difference between the MSR remote-canister Windpro and the WhisperLite. You will have unquestionable service...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 25, 10:50am

bandanas
Bandanas win on versatility. Head & neck-wear, pot grabber, dish cloth, sling/swath, bandaging, etc. If you get the thin cheap ones they dry quickly (I've even had 'em dry quicker than ...

In Multiple Use Gear » bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
October 23, 1:22pm

Cleanliness
Hey, hikinggranny- Spot on with the dirty bag. For a while I had a thing about not wanting to wash a bag, being afraid of stripping the natural oils off the down. Well, some odd years later I was d...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question of the day?
October 17, 4:27pm

Density: Warmth
I'm a writer. My eyes (and mind) glaze over when I see equations. A couple of "real world" examples on density, FWIW. We all know and respect Western Mountaineering bags because, alon...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Question of the day?
October 17, 9:56am

Adults
Some really good points so far. Regarding the mandatory meetings that Charles suggested--don't worry about scaring people away. Seriously, if adults won't even make the effort to come to a ...

In Backpacking Light with Scouts » How do you lighten up Adults
October 17, 9:08am

durablility
Yep, if you want it bomber, it's not going to weigh 8 ounces. I've been pretty impressed with Gore-Tex Pro Shell. I'm not one to praise all things Arc'Teryx, but think you'd be ...

In GEAR » Bomber waterproof shell?
October 16, 3:44pm

Sleeping and comfort
Sleeping well is probably the most important part of comfort, IMO. I highly recommend Exped DownMats; for the ultimate in comfort, the 9 Deluxe is stellar. Weighs almost 3 pounds, but it's one ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Please suggest a book for my wife.
October 16, 12:39pm

Re: Ti Cooking Pot Size?
Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. My thought process was that I use 500ml/ 2 cups for solo meals. Further, other people I would eat with also use 500ml of water per meal. The combined 1000ml, ob...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Ti Cooking Pot Size?
October 14, 9:07pm

Re: Ti Cooking Pot Size?
I use the MSR Titan kettle, 850ml. Want to take off the wire handles and the piece that holds them on. I--strong language here--despise eating from pouches. Never mind the mess. I don't like ha...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Ti Cooking Pot Size?
October 14, 4:51pm

Backpackin' Dogs
As promised, visual aid regarding dogs, seasonally appropriate layering, and foam pads. Incidentally, the dogs have gotten so that they go to the tent and look at me, expectantly, when they're ...

In Philosophy & Technique » UL Chocolate Lab!!
October 12, 11:27pm

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.