BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1401 - 1410 of 1839 | Page: 1 ...132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ...184

Forum » Thread

Re: Suitability of Single Wall Shelter or Tarp
re question 2: David Olsen's photo in THIS THREAD shows a pitch that might meet your needs.

In GEAR » Suitability of Single Wall Shelter or Tarp
April 09, 2:15pm

Re: Backpacking weddings/engagement?
Well, there's the Wilberforce Falls Affair Hmmm, for some reason it's not letting me create that link, maybe this TINY URL will work?

In Chaff » Backpacking weddings/engagement?
April 09, 12:20pm

Cooke Custom Sewing
Dan Cooke sews largely for the canoe trekker market. His Tundra Tarps have evolved to meet the needs of folks on multi week/month trips north of the treeline and are as bombproof as you can make w...

In GEAR » Large Tarp recommendations
April 08, 4:10pm

Re: Re: pen-style flare launcher
The CD/DVD idea is cool too. I wonder if they would be as easy to aim but I guess that just comes down to skill and practice. Also, if you wanted to save even more weight, you could use one of thos...

In GEAR » Signal Mirror - Lifesaver or BS?
April 06, 6:56pm

Re: How many oz/yd in 240 g/sm XP?
Not to be a shill for Google Nation (not to mention that my instinct is to say "learn some math") but ... if you enter: 240 grams/sq. meter in ounces/sq. yard in google's se...

In Make Your Own Gear » How many oz/yd in 240 g/sm XP?
April 06, 6:09pm

Re: Erin and Hig's MLD Shelter
It had lots of small improvements over the Proto, mainly a bit taller Ron, care to elaborate on reason to be taller? headroom? better snow shedding? Something else?

In Editor's Roundtable » EXPEDITION: Journey on the Wild Coast (Erin McKittrick and Bretwood Higman)
April 03, 1:15pm

Re: Evaluate my tarp idea?
Being this is BPL, I'll talk about what to do with silnylon ... I've not yet sewn gortex. If your ridgeline seam is horizontal in your diagram, just bury a short piece of grosgrain in th...

In Make Your Own Gear » Evaluate my tarp idea?
April 02, 11:31am

Re: Easton poles .340 vs .344
I've gotten poles from TA Enterprises They carry 7 kinds of Easton 7075 tubing.

In GEAR » Easton poles .340 vs .344
April 02, 8:17am

Re: Anyone tried this pocket stove?"
I wait with baited breath to see where JSB or Tinny might take this idea!

In Make Your Own Gear » Anyone tried this pocket stove?
March 30, 3:48pm

Re: 70d silicone fabric for tent and bivy bottoms
Another possibility ... This article at Jim Wood's Basecamp contains a suggestion for making std sylnylon tougher and more waterproof ... at a cost of about 0.75 oz per square yard (a bivy I ma...

In Make Your Own Gear » fabric for bivy bottom - impregnated vs coated
March 27, 12:04pm

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

Review

Category

TarpTent
My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am

Thru-Hiker.com
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am