Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim Colten (jcolten) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale MN
About Me Jim Colten has not added a biography yet.
My PDF Gear Listtest

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim Colten

Showing 1401 - 1410 of 2003 | Page: 1 ...132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ...201

Forum » Thread

Re: a dang credit card.
yet another HYOH thing

In Gear Lists » Early Spring / Late Fall list
January 09, 7:06am

Re: Trend towards "sturdier", heavier gear
The durability thing is a real issue. When the GG G6 (or maybe G5?) was first released, the product description went WAY out if it's way to explain that a majority of the backpacking populatio...

In GEAR » Trend towards "sturdier", heavier gear
January 08, 1:44pm

Re: It didn't work for me...
The item stayed at the same sale price but no extra reduction... ditto here

In Gear Deals » REI 50% off .83
January 08, 11:08am

Re: A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered
How fortunate we are to know someone with such a balanced point of view and the word skills to express it well. Thanks, Tony. This article will join Doug Prosser's when I strive to sell UL ...

In Editor's Roundtable » A Passion Found, Lost, and Rediscovered
January 07, 9:47am

RE: Will they let you do this?
What are your thoughts on boots vs. trailrunners? I never make footwear recommendations ... but at the end of the day I'd say "look for a good deal on some lighter low cut shoes, use th...

In Philmont » Will they let you do this?
January 06, 3:34pm

Implications of UL Base Weight
paraphrasing Paul: It's still about the experience out there (outside in the real world), not in here (cyberspace). hear, hear! I once knew a Soils Science PHD candidate doing research on t...

In Philosophy & Technique » Implications of UL Base Weight
January 06, 2:53pm

Implications of UL Base Weight
The issue I've had with "he who dies with the lightest pack wins" is that I want to come back alive! So my adaptation is "he who comes back content/happy/pleased with the ligh...

In Philosophy & Technique » Implications of UL Base Weight
January 06, 12:07pm

Re: It’s different for everyone. . .
Roger says: Ahhhh... I beg to disagree. Sweating is a physiological reaction to excess body temperature. Keep the temp down and the body does not need to sweat like that. and Chad says: what wo...

In GEAR » Another breathability question
January 05, 2:12pm

Re: Hike over
Sounds grueling! I've had a couple much less ambitious snowshoe outings turn into comedies due to deep and fresh snow (and those were on relatively flat terrain, dead flat by SHT standards!). ...

In Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Superior Hiking Trail southbound thru-hike Jan 3-17, 2009
January 05, 12:11pm

Re: WTB Down Bag
content removed, the item has been sold

In Gear Swap » WTB Down Bag
January 05, 11:00am

All Reader Reviews by Jim Colten

Showing 1 - 3 of 3 | Page: 1

My entry into the world of tarping was with Hernry's orginal squall. Later that year the Cloudburst was introduced. I contacted him about an idea of converting my squall to use an arched front p...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 30, 11:04am
1) good products 2) friendly and useful help before ans after sale 3) great customer service I'd rate Thru-Hiker a 6 if that was an option

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
December 01, 8:10am

Minibull Designs Pocket Puck
Hector, I had similar experience .... but only the first time I lit it. Since then I've been giving the pocket puck about 15-30 seconds more warmup time and it has always stayed lit. There is a...

In Stoves - Alcohol
October 16, 6:04am