Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Brad Groves (4quietwoods) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Michigan
About Me Mostly longer trips without resupply, in what usually seems to be cold and wet conditions. Over two decades of backcountry travel including backpacking and canoe tripping. I consider Marquette to be my home, but I currently live down-state. Many years as a buyer in specialty outdoor retail.
My PDF Gear Listalways changing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Brad Groves

Showing 1401 - 1410 of 1559 | Page: 1 ...132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ...156

Forum » Thread

objectivity
Hey gang- For the record, I'm not a close-minded white-gas-only nut! Just trying to crunch numbers as objectively as possible. I did start out comparing with the WhisperLite, because tha...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 28, 9:23am

Microporous tubes
One thing I'm wondering about the Sawyer inline filter thing... It seems like it's using the same microporous tubes that the Hyperflow has. I've had nothing but bad feedback on Hyperflo...

In GEAR » Gravity Filter
October 28, 8:30am

No Worries-
Hey- FWIW, I didn't make any particularly special preparations for down delivery when I made my down vest--and I didn't have any real problems. I just closed myself off in the bathroom so ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Getting down with DOWN: A plea for help!
October 27, 5:17pm

Re: ceramic fabric / titanium wood stove
Cool and inspired! I'm impressed by the metalworking. Hmmm. A sub 3 ounce stove with no need to carry fuel...

In Make Your Own Gear » ceramic fabric / titanium wood stove
October 27, 5:08pm

Re: Canister Composition
Roger, Don- Thanks. I now have the vaguest recollection of vapor pressures and such from some long-ago class. I think I get that part now. Don, "White gas can be ignited down to its flash...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 27, 4:56pm

Thanks!
Whoa, guys- I have no idea where I've been on this one, but the Sawyer unit sounds awesome! Just checked it out, saw one site that has the weight at under 2 ounces. Sheesh! Guess I know what I&...

In GEAR » Gravity Filter
October 27, 4:45pm

limits
Roger- I guess this is a more appropriate thread for questions about the gases-- * With an upright the gas is boiling inside the canister then With an inverted canister there is almost no ...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - A Winter Canister Stove using your Summer Upright Stove and the Brunton Stove Stand
October 27, 1:03pm

Re: Re: Misconceptions
Roger- I haven't measured how much fuel I use to prime, but it's very little, and in my experience it certainly wouldn't account for 4L less boiled. That's huge! I'm famil...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 27, 12:49pm

Misconceptions
Some statistics for the record: An 8oz/227g empty canister weighs ~138g An 11oz empty liq. fuel bttl weighs ~90g The empty liquid fuel bottle is 48g lighter than canister. The canister has...

In GEAR » Stove choices
October 25, 5:34pm

Re: Warmest beanie and balaclava?
Not as warm as a down one, but Icebreaker has a double-thickness merino balaclava that's quite warm. I also like that the merino basically eliminates that funky, funky bad breath smell that ten...

In GEAR » Warmest beanie and balaclava?
October 25, 10:54am

All Reader Reviews by Brad Groves

Brad Groves has posted no reviews.