Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Vick Hines (vickrhines) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Central Texas
About Me 2X AT thruhiker
Author of How to Make Your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear
Builder of solo canoes
Compulsive builder of yondering gear of all kinds.
CityAustin
StateTexas
CountryUnited States

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Vick Hines

Showing 141 - 150 of 1034 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...104

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net?
Tule is delicate, but very light. Fine for bugs bigger than noseeums. It tears easily and works better with some reinforcement - like silnylon for the ridgeline and drawstring hems if you use them...

In Make Your Own Gear » Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net?
March 12, 3:48pm

Re: Tape
I'll second packing tape for a cheapie bivy. It will get grody as dirt works under the edges, but don't you don't need to worry about strength.

In Make Your Own Gear » Cheapo No-Sewing Required Bivy Solution
March 10, 4:41pm

Re: Re: Re: MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
Here's my experience in making quilts: Little things add up. Less is more. Momentum is a reliable, light shell fabric. Nanoseeum netting from Thruhiker is perfect for baffles because you d...

In Make Your Own Gear » MYOG - SUL 40° Quilt ??
March 07, 1:54pm

Re: Re: sleeping naked.
One argument in favor of sleep wear is to keep the sleeping bag or quilt/pad clean. On long hikes it makes a big difference. When conditions permit (low humidity, no dew)I sometimes sleep in my ...

In Philosophy & Technique » less clothes, more sleeping bag
March 01, 2:49pm

Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp?
It's easy to glue an aligator clip to the 9 volt Packlight. What you end up with is a minus 2 ounce light that will last 80 hours between battery changes on high and 1200 hours on low. (They a...

In GEAR » Need Advice on Which Headlamp?
February 28, 10:26pm

Re: Tent floor material
First off, do you plan to remove and replace the entire floor? If so, you might be happier using the same general fabric weight as the canopy - making allowance for the coating on the floor. It ma...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tent floor material
February 18, 11:02am

Re: Wood Stove
Tim, the Orion is light, but it still needs a pot support. Have you tried Fuzzy's L'l Stove, also on the Zen site? It is its own pot stand and if you make it with a Red Bull or 6 oz. V8 c...

In Make Your Own Gear » Orion Stove
February 02, 8:46pm

Re: Socks
100% wool is rare. Anything over 70% will probably be OK. Most makes have synthetic additions for reinforcement and stretch. The thing to avoid is cotton because it compresses and loses its insul...

In GEAR » Socks
February 02, 8:32pm

bancanna/packtowel-whats best?
first criteria: will it burn? If not, it is a pot lifter. Second, does it absorb water? If so, it is a towel Does it block the sun? Then it's a head cover. In cold, wet weather, a c...

In Multiple Use Gear » bandanna/packtowel-whats best?
January 31, 7:10pm

Re: MLD patrol shelter...sort of
You don't need a door. Just size the net so you can lift it up and slip under it.

In Make Your Own Gear » MLD patrol shelter...sort of
January 28, 6:59pm

All Reader Reviews by Vick Hines

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Nike Free Trail 5.0
Summary: A light moccasin with a good sole and no heel counter. The shoe encourages full use of foot and ankle, improves balance and control, and strengthens the foot and ankle. The low profile sole r...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 12, 4:17pm

Golite Trail Fly and Tail Spike
Two pairs of Golite shoes self-destructed within 70 miles on the AT. The first pair (Trail Fly) failed after 66 miles. The fake ripstop fabric over the toe section cracked with repeated flexing (an...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
May 08, 8:16pm