BPL Community Profile

Gordon Smith (swearingen) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Portland, Oregon
About Me http://www.facebook.com/people/Gordon-Smith/100000899587475
CityPortland
StateOregon
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://pixelhorse.smugmug.com/
My PDF Gear ListGear List (4-day, summer, mountains, dry weather)

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Gordon Smith

Showing 141 - 150 of 240 | Page: 1 ...5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Forum » Thread

Karl Grobl
Here's a great site worth checking out: photojournalist Karl Grobl. He travels the world for his profession, including areas that are less than stable or safe. On his site he has lots of great ...

In GEAR » Airline Travel - What bag do I choose?
October 07, 12:53am

Antiseptic vs Antibiotic
Backpacker Chick writes: "Despite the evidence to the contrary, there are those of us (me included) who think we need a little smear of antibiotic ointment -- this probably isn't going to...

In GEAR » Purell instead of Triple Antibiotic Ointment?
October 05, 4:59pm

Irrigate with water
My understanding is that the current preferred method of cleansing a wound is with clean water or saline solution, NOT alcohol or other antiseptic products. Antiseptics can kill living tissue and h...

In GEAR » Purell instead of Triple Antibiotic Ointment?
October 05, 4:01pm

plastic straw
I take a plastic straw, cut off about a 2 inch piece and wrap a couple feet of leukotape around that. G

In GEAR » Leukotape is heavy!
October 02, 5:28pm

Game Changer
Justin writes: "Most people never get out of cell range anyways." That just is not true in the mountains of the western US. I'm almost always out of cell range on backpack trips. ...

In GEAR » AT&T to launch satellite phone plans
October 01, 6:09pm

Camera
I'm a serious amateur photographer, so my list is likely upside down compared to most: 1) Image Quality - I'm not just talking megapixels here, in fact 6MP would be ample. I'm more c...

In GEAR » What do you look for in a backcountry camera?
September 30, 1:49am

Aquamira
Tony Wong writes: "Frankly, to me the biggest draw back is that there is no active charcoal/carbon in the unit....then again neither does Aqua Mira, right?" That depends on if you&#...

In GEAR » Downside of Sawyer Filters?
September 28, 6:00pm

I suck
I tried one of these "bottle with integrated filter" units from Sawyer. Neat idea but in practice I found it too much work to draw water through it. Sometimes you just want to guzzle a dr...

In GEAR » Downside of Sawyer Filters?
September 27, 1:10am

Trip Line
A while back I watched an episode of Man v Wild where Bear Grylls was in a bear intense area. He was concerned enough about them that he set up a trip line around his camp by stringing a lightweigh...

In Philosophy & Technique » Thinking About Bears and Cougars
September 26, 11:07am

Ambien CR
I don't care what anybody says or thinks. I have a lot of trouble sleeping on the trail and the only thing I've found that works really well for me is Ambien CR. It works amazingly well. A ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » How do I get and stay asleep on the trail?
September 26, 12:36am

All Reader Reviews by Gordon Smith

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Trail Designs Caldera ULC Cone for Snow Peak 600 mug
The Caldera ULC Cone is the compact version of the original Caldera Cone that Trail Designs has been making for several years. The great benefit of the ULC Cones is that they're designed to fit in...

In Stoves - Alcohol
March 05, 1:32am