BPL Community Profile

Scott Bentz (scottbentz) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. I can get to a lot of nice hiking areas right from my street or travel for 15 minutes to higher elevations in the Angeles National Forrest. I started packing again with my sons in their Boy Scout troop. I was definitely not light that first trip 6 years ago and have been reducing my pack weight ever since. I mainly pack a few times a year in the Eastern and Western Sierras.
My PDF Gear ListNorth Lake South Lake 2012

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Scott Bentz

Showing 141 - 150 of 435 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...44

Forum » Thread

JPL to Switzers
"As the JPL guy have you been up th4 Arroyo Seco trial to the Switzers area and beyond lately? I'm just wondering if the trial is open and/or the extent of the fire damage. Thanks." ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California
August 09, 2:05pm

4 WD
You may want to contact Vermillion directly. They may be able to give you a clue.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir Wilderness - Onion springs trailhead
August 06, 5:36pm

So. Cal.
La CaƱada Flintridge. For those out of the area we are home to JPL and are just above the Rose Bowl and our neighbors in Pasadena, Alta Dena and Glendale. Awesome hike right in our backyard. ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Southern California
August 06, 5:34pm

Bladders vs Bottles, etc.
A couple of ideas: First, I typically take a 1 liter soda wide mouth bottle and a 1 liter Platypus. I like the hard bottle to remove from my side pocket while hiking. I like to Platypus because ...

In GEAR » Hate to sound like an idiot but...
August 06, 5:27pm

Scales
I use 2 scales: hanging and postal. If you get a digital postal scale, make sure it does tare. If it has a tare function you can put a bucket on the scale and zero it out. Then you can put odd s...

In GEAR » Pack weight - how do you measure?
July 30, 5:32pm

Nice Job!
Benjamin, Nice job in completing the trail in 11 days. I did it with my son, brother and nephew in 14 days last summer. That was plenty fast for me but my son could have finished much faster. I...

In Post-Trip Reports » JMT, July 14-25
July 27, 3:14pm

Crocs are Slippery
I found that trying to use Crocs for walking in a river can be a sure way to end up in the water. I used them on one trip and have not taken any since. I was nice since I slipped and took a good di...

In GEAR » Camp Shoe Recommendations
July 27, 2:51pm

Wide Feet
It's always been New Balance for me since they have widths.

In GEAR » Need some new hiking shoes for Wide feet
July 21, 12:48pm

Tarps / Double Rainbow
Double Rainbows come up all the time on the gear swap. I have one but always use my tarp with bivy. If you have experience with a tarp then go ahead and use a tarp. If you don't like it you can...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Shelter - what to do?
July 14, 2:19pm

Wide Mouth Pepsi
I have also noticed them disappearing. I have a stash of about 5. The one's I used to buy, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, seem to be with a small cap now. Bummer.

In GEAR » Pepsi Wide Mouth Bottles - Gone?
July 10, 3:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Scott Bentz

Showing 1 - 1 of 1 | Page: 1

Review

Category

MSR MIOX
We used a MSR Miox on a trip with 9 people (Scouts). We got very spotty results and ended up playing with the unit more than we wanted. It seemed like the perfect solution but was not worth the wait. ...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
June 03, 5:04pm