Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Robert Perkins (rp3957) - BPL Guest

My Locale The Sierras
About Me I usually plan 2- 3 weekend trips in the Sierras a year and try to do one 'long' hike a year. I really like the Central part of the Sierras.
CitySparks
StateNevada
CountryUS

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Robert Perkins

Showing 141 - 150 of 484 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...49

Forum » Thread

John Muir Trail (JMT) Trip Report, August 2010
David, we will be heading down to start our hike August 11th, What time does your flight arrive in Mammoth? We may be able to give you a lift to Lone Pine. We will be starting from Reno pretty earl...

In Post-Trip Reports » John Muir Trail (JMT) Trip Report, August 2010
February 23, 6:39pm

Sierra High Route -What sectin would you recommend
I'm assuming you mean Dusy Basin to Italy Pass area. I have heard this is one of the harder sections of the HSR, as it includes Snow Tongue Pass. Are you experienced in x-country travel? This y...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Sierra High Route -What sectin would you recommend
February 22, 8:47pm

Hi John. I think I really didn't quite understand the question on the temps. I have many nights over the years of hiking in the High Sierras where I wake up to ice in my water bottle. I don'...

February 18, 7:53pm

+ 1 to what Bob said on the peak-bagging. As far as temp ratings on your bag, that is one that is different for everyone. I am a fairly warm sleeper and get away with a 32 degree WM bag, but I ...

February 18, 2:37pm

John, When are you heading out on the JMT this summer? I will be heading out with a group of 3 or 4 starting in August doing some of the PCT and combining it with a JMT trip in the middle. We are l...

February 18, 11:52am

"Sierra Winter?"
It's winter? Actually in all of my 30+ years of living in the foothills of the Sierras, I haven't been through this dry of a winter yet. I actually had to turn on my sprinklers in Jan. ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierra Winter?
February 18, 10:11am

The Muir Project
Another trailer for the upcoming The Muir Project! http://vimeo.com/36675195

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Muir Project
February 17, 7:22am

ZimmerBuilt something awesome for me
I have a Zimmerbuilt half-Dome with the U-suspension built around my Bearikade, and it carries fantastic, FWIW! Besides my Osprey Talon 44, this has been the only lightweight pack that I don't ...

In GEAR » ZimmerBuilt something awesome for me
February 14, 9:04pm

John Muir in Late April
Take it for what it is worth at this stage of our winter, but I have been working a little over 9000' around Tahoe lately, and where there was 16 - 18 feet of snow in Feb. last year, there is o...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir in Late April
February 14, 8:53pm

PCT/JMT NOBO permit Q's
Chris, you can reserve your permits for this hike from Recreation.Gov, with a Kennedy Meadows start and a Happy Isles finish and a visit to Whitney from the west side if you want to add it for the ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » PCT/JMT NOBO permit Q's
February 14, 8:45pm

All Reader Reviews by Robert Perkins

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Zimmerbuilt Half-Dome, modified
I have owned many packs with some features I liked and dis-liked on each one, so I decided to give the custom order pack method a shot. After a less than pleasant experience with Kooka bay, I went int...

In Backpacks - Frameless
June 24, 9:53pm

Osprey Talon 44
I picked up this pack with my REI dividend and have been taking it for a lot of 'test-runs' in the hills and have come to really love it's fit. I have switched between trying out a SMD Swi...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
April 24, 11:23pm

Six Moons Designs 2011 Swift
I have had a chance to do a quick test run of my new Swift pack with pocket hipbelt, and no stays. I am really impressed with how this pack rides! I loaded it up with about 20 pounds and took it for a...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 09, 8:15pm

KookaBay air mattress
Edit - If I could, I would do two seperate ratings here. The pad would rate a 4, but customer sevice and response time would be a 1. I'll give it an average of 2.5. I got the pad and overall it...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 05, 1:12pm

MSR Mountain Safety Research HyperFlow microfilter
At first I just loved this filter, it had all of the qualities of a good filter; fast pumping, compact, and light. I used it in the Sierra's, in clear water, following the backflushing instruction...

In Hydration - Water Treatment
October 26, 10:32pm