November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Richard Nisley (richard295) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale San Francisco Bay Area
About Me My outdoor hobbies include hiking, mountain biking, canoeing, kayaking, snow shoeing, skiing, fishing, and hunting. I enjoy continuously refining my equipment and techniques with the emphasis on less weight and volume.
CitySan Carlos
My PDF Gear ListProtocol B Aging Chart Source Detail

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Richard Nisley

Showing 141 - 150 of 1707 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...171

Forum » Thread

Re: Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
Brett, Activity AND environmental factors determine a garment's moisture transport (air permeability) requirements. Activity is most commonly defined in METS. See http://onlinelibrary.wi...

In GEAR » Breathability, CFM and windshirts?
September 20, 12:28pm

1/2 of conventional eVent for the ZPacks Challenger Raingear air permeability
Ryan said, " I’ve experienced their effective breathability"..."am happy to verify its excellent breathability in a wider range of conditions than what I’ve experienced with most...

In Editor's Roundtable » Flash Reviews (No. 1): ZPacks Challenger Raingear, JepPaks Custom Packs, Zebralight H52Fw Headlamp
September 18, 10:02pm

Re: Re: Re: Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
Greg, You asked, " would a vacuum influence the conduction of heat through a foam?" The foam is a skeleton with the gas (air) in the void spaces providing most of the insulati...

In Gear Deals » Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
September 15, 9:44pm

Re: Sucka...
1" of PU foam averages an R-Value of 4.3; so, 1/2" would be 2.15.

September 15, 4:07pm

Re: Want a FREE CCF Sleeping Pad?
A 1" pad with an R-Value 21 is only achievable in a vacuum. There is an old saying about a ? being born every minute. The chance of a penalty for an inaccurate spec is what?

September 15, 3:53pm

Re: Re: Re: Hunting clothing
The best camo pattern hunting outerwear value is the Wild Things Tactical 1.0 Multi-cam wind-shirt/wind-pants. They are 70 denier EPIC; I tested them at 25.5 CFM and 422 mm H2O (similar breathabil...

In GEAR » Hunting clothing
September 10, 3:15pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Emissivity of alumized Cuben, Silnylon
Jerry, I built a new emissivity apparatus and retested the samples. The updated results are posted Here.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Emissivity of alumized Cuben, Silnylon
August 20, 9:37pm

Re: Cassin Ridge, Denali
Max, I was in the general area of your climb; there was up to 3' of new snow per day during that period. Your narrative and photos are first class! To put what you accomplished in a risk ...

In Post-Trip Reports » Cassin Ridge, Denali - harder and more rewarding than expected
August 18, 1:55pm

Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware
There is a broken link to (see articles by Jerry Adams)in this text: "Online publications like, and their associated communities, seek to provide unbiased information whic...

In Editor's Roundtable » Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware
July 30, 10:58am

Re: not exactly in agreement
Adam, The backing layer (3rd layer) is typically a tricot that provides good abrasion resistance and negligible effect on breathability. 3 layer eVent Tricot Layer (40x)

In GEAR » eVent warranty just one year?
July 29, 1:25pm

All Reader Reviews by Richard Nisley

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Lite my fire firesteel scout firelighter
I went back to the Midwest, this month, for a family reunion and fishing trip. I took my fire steel with me. My two nephews are 10 and 12 and they love to fish. The 12 year old asked me if I would tea...

In Cookware - Other
July 21, 1:37pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
My piezo failed after a couple of days. It took one second to fix it by bending down the ignitor rod to make a slightly smaller gap (1/8" smaller). I then used it in Alaska for 1 1/2 months twice a da...

In Stoves - Canister
August 25, 5:17pm