BPL Community Profile

jerry adams (retiredjerry) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Oregon and Washington
About Me I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter) 20 to 50 miles. Mostly I stay around Mount Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mount Adams, Goat Rocks, and the Olympic Peninsula. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 15 lb (7 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack. My sleeping pad is a Therm-a-Rest air mattress.
Cityportland
Stateoregon
Countryusa

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by jerry adams

Showing 141 - 150 of 7594 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...760

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: So do I understand these freezer bags?
silicone should handle boiling water better. Are they advertised for that?

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So do I understand these freezer bags?
October 02, 11:22pm

Re: Re: emergency socks
Occasionally I screw up and let me feet get wet, but rarely. If they're just damp, they dry out overnight wearing them in sleeping bag. Year round, rain/wet snow on occasion, maybe down t...

In Make Your Own Gear » emergency socks
October 02, 9:31pm

Re: Re: Wet Socks!
I always carry one spare pair of socks Very seldomly use them Like the time I forgot my gaitors. Then my socks got wet and I went back and forth between my two pairs but it was mostly futile...

In GEAR » Wet Socks!
October 02, 5:57pm

Re: Ontake
Yeah, I was thinking the same Similar volcanoes in Oregon and Washington. St Helens used to be called "the Mount Fuji of the ..." There were people killed by Mt St Helens, but it h...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Ontake
October 02, 12:13pm

Re: Re: Re: goosefeet gear down socks + over booties
From context I can figure out that "think" is a typo for "thin" not "thick" which is what I thought first. Now, for a competition for the cleverist typos, or the cl...

In GEAR » goosefeet gear down socks + over booties
October 02, 12:05pm

Re: A hybrid approach.
I bet the foil bags have a plastic layer inside the foil : ) If you re-use the foil bag for several days, you'de have to wash it out. Tough to get it clean enough. Risk of bugs making you ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » So do I understand these freezer bags?
October 02, 11:27am

you guys are sick
you guys are sick oh, you could have removed the label too...

In GEAR » Minimizing the Mini
October 02, 10:12am

Re: Re: Do some items sold on Gear Swap come from the black market?
If you test gear for BackpackGearTest.org you get to keep the gear after you test it. Free to sell it afterwards, but it will be used some. Always looking for new testers.

In Chaff » Do some items sold on Gear Swap come from the black market?
October 02, 9:08am

Re: So do I understand these freezer bags?
Or, throw food in pot after it's boiled. Maybe turn down to simmer and let it come back to boil for 15 seconds. Put on lid and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes. It'll dehydrate a little bette...

October 02, 9:05am

Re: re: Don't do as I do
I dehydrated some Jalapenos. These were very mild, eating them I didn't hardly notice any heat. Yet my hands were on fire for 12 hours afterwards. I tried various remedies which didn't w...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Don't do as I do
October 01, 5:41pm

All Reader Reviews by jerry adams

jerry adams has posted no reviews.