BPL Community Profile

Roger Caffin (rcaffin) - BPL Staff

My Locale Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
About Me Research Scientist. Been walking all my life, mainly off-track - we don't have 'trails' here, and I always go with my wife. Summer and winter, lowland and highland, Australia and Europe. Forced into UL gear by heavy packs and increasing age. :-)
Example Gear List at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/caffins_4_month_gear_list.html

BPL email: roger@backpackinglight.com
CitySydney
StateNSW
CountryAustralia
My Website URLhttp://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Roger Caffin

Showing 141 - 150 of 8998 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...900

Forum » Thread

Re: EN 13537 and LOFT
> a beautiful, extremely well made, overstuffed quilt that failed to keep me warm at > it's rated temp. There are several factors at play here. First of all, if the quilt does not...

In GEAR » EN 13537 and LOFT
February 23, 7:08pm

Re: Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
You can use white gas in an alky-type stove, but it is going to burn erratically as the different components flash off, and it is going to be rather smokey as the flame won't get enough oxygen....

In GEAR » Why Isn't There an UL Alcohol Type Stove that Bruns White Gas?
February 23, 2:52am

Re: Re: Skis & Fishscales
Hi Dave > Roger, comparing 90+ mm waisted alpine skis with nordic skis just doesn't work. Oh, I totally agree. My argument was against blaming the fishscales. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » AT Nordic Ski Systems: Discovering the Best of Backcountry Nordic and Alpine Touring Systems Through Hybridization
February 22, 10:47pm

Re: Skis & Fishscales
I have reservations about some of the negative claims made re fishscales. First, the amount of drag due to scales. I don't think the scales are nearly as significant as the width of the skis...

In Editor's Roundtable » AT Nordic Ski Systems: Discovering the Best of Backcountry Nordic and Alpine Touring Systems Through Hybridization
February 22, 2:54pm

Re: The only first aid kit you'll ever need
Amusing. I wonder what they do for a 50 mm slash right through your skin to the stuff underneath? Cheers

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The only first aid kit you'll ever need
February 21, 6:12pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1210 at joes NB outlet
Hi Jennifer Remember that the Womens version comes in sizes B & D. If your feet are that narrow, fine. But I know a lot of female walkers these days just buy the Mans version. Cheers

In Editor's Roundtable » New Balance MT910V1 and MT910V1GTX Trail Shoes Review
February 21, 4:17pm

Re: Horror Stories
> The bear had only eaten the chocolate and gatorade mixes - and very nicely left all > of our freeze-dried food. Well, I can understand the bear eating the chocolate and leaving the free...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Horror Stories
February 20, 6:22pm

Re: Thank you.
> I'm going to have to train myself to be careful here...to make certain the pin is > fully seated in the box. Actually, this can be very easy to ensure. I will assume the zipper box...

In GEAR » Zipper Rescue: Skipped a Tooth, Can't Unzip
February 20, 6:17pm

Re: Re: Re: wet grip
I know about the skating. Really FUN. Many years ago an Asian company came out with a new tyre made with synthetic rubber. Cheaper to make and they claimed a longer life as well. They were impor...

In Editor's Roundtable » New Balance MT910V1 and MT910V1GTX Trail Shoes Review
February 20, 6:06pm

Possible manufacturers
Hi all Several people have PM'd me with suggestions about possible manufacturers, both in Asia and in America. I have carefully recorded all suggestions. Any more - please. Order of the d...

In GEAR » The CAFFIN tents come!
February 20, 6:02pm

All Reader Reviews by Roger Caffin

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Skinny Skis, Jacksons Hole XC Skis
My wife and I had to re-equip with new XC skis, NNN-BC bindings and boots this year. We found several companies which could supply the models we were looking for and ship overseas (to Australia), and ...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
October 28, 3:08pm

Darn Tough Vermont Socks Customer Service
I got a pair of the DTV boot socks in a BGT Test. I gave them hell for four months. It didn't seem to have had any effect on them. Roland B is a very helpful guy too.

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 06, 3:53am

Coleman Exponent Xtreme Stove
I have been using the Xtreme in the snow for many years. I have never ever had any problems with it. It lights and runs completely reliably. It will run down to -26 C (-15 F) because the gas mix in t...

In Stoves - White Gas
October 24, 4:17pm

Snow Peak Gigapower Ti
I've used mine for ... many years now. I was initially irritated by the valve off position, but then I wondered: It is otherwise superbly made: what if the valve position is deliberate? Why would th...

In Stoves - Canister
December 29, 10:04pm