BPL Community Profile

Raymond Estrella (rayestrella) - BPL Professional Member

My Locale Northern Minnesota
About Me I have been backpacking for over 30 years, all over California, plus many western states and Minnesota. I hike year-round in all weather, and average 500+ miles (800+ km) per year. I make a point of using lightweight gear, and smaller volume packs. Doubting I can ever be truly UL, I try to be as near to it as I can yet still be comfortable. I start early and hike hard so as to enjoy the afternoons exploring/chilling. I usually take a freestanding tent and enjoy hot meals at night. If not hiking solo I am usually with brother-in-law Dave.
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Raymond Estrella

Showing 141 - 150 of 816 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...82

Forum » Thread

Flat foot box thoughts
Michael W, what Jason is referring to is the depth of the footbox. He had it sewn 8" further up the quilt towards the head creating a deeper pocket. Up until a couple weeks ago every quilt ...

In GEAR » Flat foot box on Zpacks bags compared to other types. Thoughts?
November 28, 5:09pm

Combining two down bags for warmth
I just did it last Thursday. We had a storm coming in and my son wanted to spend the night in it so I set up a new shelter outside the living room window so my daughter could "see" us. I ...

In GEAR » Combining two down bags for warmth
November 28, 4:47pm

Camping in the Snow
I'm inspired and can't wait to try it out. ;-) Great article, Roger.

In Editor's Roundtable » Camping in the Snow
November 28, 12:52pm

Sorry
I'm sorry but I read it three times before posting and could not get what you were trying for. Was there a question in there? Now it seems you are asking about fit. What are you looking for?

In GEAR » Q - Down Jacket, proper fit
November 28, 7:42am

protecting face
Unless I absolutely have to I don't cover my mouth. I have neoprene and fleece face-masks and they either freeze up or make too much fog around my face, fogging my goggles/glasses. As long as m...

In GEAR » Recommend a hat/balaclava
November 27, 11:37am

hat/bala
I take a hat on every trip, spring, fall and winter. Most times I just take a 3-in1 fleece beanie. If it gets cold I wear it with my quilt to sleep in, and if really cold pull out the face mask par...

In GEAR » Recommend a hat/balaclava
November 27, 6:35am

?
Great, I guess...

In GEAR » Q - Down Jacket, proper fit
November 27, 6:13am

Carbon Fiber Poles conduct electricity
CF poles will conduct electricity quite well. That said I have used mine for many, many nights supporting shelters like Tarptents and the NEMO Meta 2. I am using a Brooks Range Propel tent next ...

In GEAR » Use of Carbon Fiber Poles w/ Shelters
November 26, 4:16pm

Don't do that
Chocolate is on the way...

In GEAR » Addressing ground-side breathability problems while sleeping
November 26, 4:09pm

How about yesterday?
Funny that this thread came up. I just got an email from Bob as he is showing his newest design. http://www.indiegogo.com/big-sky-soul-ultra-light-tent?c=home Now that I am in MN I wish that ...

In GEAR » Recent Big Sky interactions?
November 26, 11:39am

All Reader Reviews by Raymond Estrella

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Osprey Exos 58
Osprey Exos 58 Backpack Size: Large Year manufactured: 2009 Weight listed: 2 lb 10 oz (1185 g) Actual weight 2 lb 9.8 oz (1180 g) Volume listed: 3700 cu in (61 L) Load weight capacity sugg...

In Backpacks - External Frame
June 15, 7:47pm

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2
I bought one of the first Seedhouse SL2s in 2004. Last year I bought the new, lighter version pairing it with carbon fiber poles and Ti stakes to make a total weight package of 2 lb 15 oz (1.33 kg). I...

In Shelters - Double Wall Tents
February 16, 3:37pm