BPL Community Profile

Randy Martin (randalmartin) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Colorado
About Me My primary pursuits are mountaineering (hiking with the goal of a summit) but I am beginning to re-kindle my love of Backpacking. In particular I have become a big fan of the Ultralight approach and love this website. I seem to be in a perpetual state of shelter/sleep system evaluation. My current setup for shelter is a GG SpinnTwinn with YMG Bug Bivy 1.0 (summer) or Katabatic Bristlecone Bivy(colder). Sleep system is Katabatic Chisos 40 degree quilt with Neoair short.
CityCastle Rock
StateCO
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Randy Martin

Showing 141 - 150 of 670 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...67

Forum » Thread

Home Made No Cook
Here is a link to some home made recipes for energy bars. I particularly am interested in the Logan Bread. Lasts for a long time and nutrient dense. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/bac...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Do any of you forgo cooking food altogether?
April 26, 6:44pm

Re: HikeBikeDale pillow case
just under 1.6oz for the small. http://www.etsy.com/listing/125681630/small-monkey-pillow-for-camping?ref=shop_home_active

In GEAR » Pillow dilemma
April 21, 1:34pm

Re: Trail head IN and OUT
The Rio Grande Pyramid loop starts at the ThirtyMile trailhead near the Rio Grande Reservoir. Here is a good trip report to give some more basic information http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/foru...

In Pre-Trip Planning » August trip anywhere in the West
April 21, 1:03pm

Re: Adhering your pillow to your pad
I purchased the HikerBikeDale solution and use it with my Exped Air Pillow. It solves two things, secure attachment to the pad and soft next to skin feel for very minimal weight. I love it so far.

In GEAR » Pillow dilemma
April 21, 12:38pm

Re: August trip anywhere in the West
About how many miles/day do you want to plan? When you mention a week of field time I am just trying to get a sense of how many miles you would need to occupy that. Are you interested in any zero...

In Pre-Trip Planning » August trip anywhere in the West
April 20, 10:23pm

Zpacks Poncho Groundsheet
One of the things I don't like about the Polycro is that it's clear and so it's more difficult to see things on it. I have personally decided to go with the Zpacks Cuben Poncho Grounds...

In Make Your Own Gear » Recommendations for groundcloths
April 17, 5:52pm

Just get the schnozzle
The schnozzle is big enough to function as a pack liner as well. Very ingenious piece of gear.

In GEAR » blowing up Synmat UL 7?
April 15, 9:52pm

What is your objective?
Don't have time to watch an hour but clearly you can't perform strength training for 3 reps of 20 secs each and expect to see improvement. My guess is he is talking about some of the benef...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » The Truth About Exercise M. Mosley
April 15, 3:50pm

Re: Re: Colder weather - quilt v bag for side sleeper?
Quilts for my money are inherently more flexible with the ability to vent more freely if needed to take extend your bag in warmer than spec temperatures. The differential cut on the Katabatic Gear...

In GEAR » Colder weather - quilt v bag for side sleeper?
April 15, 9:50am

Melanzana High Loft hoodie
I found out about this company from a post here on BPL. They use the exact same fabric that Patagonia uses in the R4 to produce a hoodie. Since they are local and make everything in Leadville I w...

In GEAR » R4 weight fleece jacket tall size advice
April 13, 8:27am

All Reader Reviews by Randy Martin

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone (Regular Length, Wide Width)
I have had the Bristlecone Bivy for a year and really appreciate the side zipper for ease of entry/exit. The mesh is just right for breathability and views. The stake out loops are nice when you wan...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
May 15, 6:03pm

Marmot Atom
The bag is true to it's 40 degree rating and when I sleep with insulating layers on I have comfortably slept in this bag down to the upper 20's. If you are cold in this bag at 50 then I suspe...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
May 31, 1:59pm