Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Paul McLaughlin (paul) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Paul McLaughlin hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me Paul McLaughlin has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Paul McLaughlin

Showing 141 - 150 of 917 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...92

Forum » Thread

could make more
I still have more fabric - maybe I should make another pair or two.

In Gear Swap » MYOG eVent mitten shells
January 27, 4:06pm

MYOG eVent mitten shells - all gone!
I had some extra eVent fabric so I made these shells. They fit me over liners and fleece mittens; I would usually buy a large or XL glove. 1.2 oz on my scale for the pair. Palm is 3.6 oz/yd eVent w...

In Gear Swap » MYOG eVent mitten shells
January 27, 3:21pm

Re: RAB South Col II
So - wacky idea, but... one way to deal with the water/weather coming in through zips, openings - assuming you can sip up at least somewhat and lean against a rock (or possibly snowbank) is to make...

In GEAR » help choosing a bivy
January 26, 4:23pm

Re: help choosing a bivy
Probably you want an eVent bivy - that will be the lightest, most breathable thing you can get. Though it is worth considering the the gore-tex bivys with the fuzzy interior have about the best rep...

In GEAR » help choosing a bivy
January 26, 1:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Waterproof inside layer for winter bag
Relative humidity will change the location of the dewpoint - and at a low enough RH and a warm enough temperature, that can mean the dewpoint is outside the bag rather than in the layer of insulati...

In GEAR » Waterproof inside layer for winter bag
January 26, 1:31pm

Re: There is no wrist drawcord!
you can make any size "rubber band" you need with some elastic or shock cord. It's also very easy to sew in a wrist elastic if you have a sewing machine with free arm. I've made s...

In Editor's Roundtable » Mountain Laurel Designs eVENT Rain Mitt Review
January 24, 12:09pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pocket Rocket or SnowPeak GigaPower?
yeah, BPL used to sell gear but no longer.

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Pocket Rocket or SnowPeak GigaPower?
January 24, 11:56am

sew it on
You don't need adjustability unless you need to fit more than one person. All packs I have made except one I've just sewed the sternum strap in place - and that's not just for me but fo...

In Make Your Own Gear » How to make a sternum strap that slides along piping?
January 23, 2:06pm

Re: 3 season sleeping bag for Sierras
From what you describe I'd say 20 degree bag, for a cold sleeper and wanting some shoulder season use. And the beauty of the 20 degree bag for he sierra is you can push into winter with extra c...

In GEAR » 3 season sleeping bag for Sierras
January 23, 12:11pm

Weight not the only facdtor
As far as the mass you have to move down the trail, no difference. But there are so many other factors - how far apart are the water sources, how reliable are they, how hydrated are you, what have ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Is the weight of water that you've already drunk that much different from the weight of carried water?
January 22, 2:21pm

All Reader Reviews by Paul McLaughlin

Paul McLaughlin has posted no reviews.