BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 141 - 150 of 5626 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...563

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: REI exchange
"Otherwise, no complaints since then. Seems they've cycled in more incredibly positive and helpful employees, too." I've been dealing with the REI Flagship Store up here in Sea...

In Gear Deals » REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit
February 13, 4:31pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Diphenhydramine isn't a bad choice, really, if you're ok with a pharmaceutical.
" Doug, was that the floor show with the stripper and the donkey?" Nope. She didn't want to encourage him, so she used a guisano instead. Sort of a sly put down, the way Austral...

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 12, 5:27pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gotta love REI
"I had no problems returning 270$ of gear on Saturday that was more than a year old, they offered to put it back on my card or give me store credit" One possible explanation is that th...

In Gear Deals » REI Changes Return Policy To One Year Time Limit
February 11, 7:52pm

Re: Great socks!
"And of course, it's always the same foot that gets a hole, so I end up with a bunch of left socks!" Doug Ide solved that problem several years back: Turn half of them inside out.

In GEAR » injinji toe socks
February 11, 7:48pm

Re: Re: Re: Diphenhydramine isn't a bad choice, really, if you're ok with a pharmaceutical.
" So that's what you're telling people now Tom? You told me it had something to do with a drunken night in Mexico....." Nah, you got it bass ackwards, Doug. Again. That drun...

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 11, 7:45pm

Re: Re: Re: Diphenhydramine isn't a bad choice, really, if you're ok with a pharmaceutical.
"Tom, that is what you have to look forward to in another twenty years." It would be a small price to pay for still being alive in twenty years, so yeah, I'll provisionally look fo...

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 11, 5:38pm

Re: Diphenhydramine isn't a bad choice, really, if you're ok with a pharmaceutical.
"Diphenhydramine isn't a bad choice, so long as you're not one of the rare people who have paradoxical reactions to it." One caveat: For those unfortunates who suffer from Ben...

In GEAR » Sleep aids
February 11, 4:48pm

Re: Spider-Buck-Canyon Lake
"Do these distances look reasonable? I guess I'm worried that some of the days are too short." The only day I would have concerns about is day 5. I have no idea how much backcount...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Glacier Peak Wilderness
February 10, 5:49pm

Re: Thanks
"Follow-up stupid question (although I am getting a bit ahead of myself here, since it's 5.5 months away)- what is the tipping/gratuity etiquette when dealing with trail shuttles? I'm ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Experiences with Eastern Sierra Long-Distance Shuttle Services?
February 10, 5:23pm

Re: duomid with two people
"Any opinions/suggestions? Is it a pain for the person away from the door to crawl out at night to take care of business?" I'd second the suggestion to take a look at the Double Ra...

In GEAR » duomid with two people
February 10, 5:15pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm