BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 141 - 150 of 5903 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...591

Forum » Thread

If you are determined
to cook using a plastic bottle, it would be wise to try it at home first to avoid unpleasant surprises when the chips are down. Myself, I just bring a thermos of Miso soup on day hikes in cooler w...

In Multiple Use Gear » Disposable water bottle + esbit + rocks = emergency day hiking stove?
May 30, 4:48pm

Re: 15 miles
"I see way too many people lugging water bottles on runs and its not needed. A good read is "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Over-hydration in Endurance Sports"" While ov...

In GEAR » Hydration for trail runs?
May 30, 4:36pm

Re: Re: Re: What about the chemistry??
"The only "scientific" observation I can make at this point is "Gee, it still smells very chlorine-y!"" Which indicates it is off gassing. The question is how much...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Aquamira A+B ratio critical?
May 29, 9:28pm

Re: Greg/Tom
"but really, whether the ITB is inflamed over the lateral femoral condle because it's (1) compressing a fat pad or (2) rubbing over a bursa, the symptoms and treatment would be the same, s...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » IT Band issues
May 28, 7:41pm

Re: Re: Onto The Shelf
What an exquisitely written report. Don't know that I've ever read one that better expresses all that the right trip, with the right person, and, yes, the right conditions, can be. As for...

In Editor's Roundtable » Onto The Shelf
May 28, 3:35pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: it band strap
"Nope." Did you read the info in the link I posted above? It was published in 2012, not 1986. I don't know where you are getting your information, but the information I pointed y...

May 27, 8:33pm

Re: Re: Re: JMT Record Attempts - 2014
"to me 80% of it has nothing "Really" to do with back packing or hiking." Or eating hotdogs.

In Philosophy & Technique » JMT Record Attempts - 2014
May 27, 5:56pm

Re: Re: it band strap
"Nope." Yup, actually. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307850-overview I supply this link only to buttress the following personal experience . I contracted exactly this sy...

May 27, 5:54pm

Re: Glacier Peak Wildernes 6 day backpacking trip
"Day 4: Image Lake to campsite on Suiattle River trail. Day 5: Out to second car at Suiattle River parking lot." John, The Suiattle River Road has been closed for at least 8 years ...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Glacier Peak Wildernes 6 day backpacking trip
May 24, 4:26pm

Re: RE: Re: Need help from the ladies to help select a down jacket for my wife.
" I know this is heresy on BPL, but for both items, I could see daylight through the fabric when I held them up the light (i.e., not enough down to fill out the sewn-through baffles). I knew t...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Need help from the ladies to help select a down jacket for my wife.
May 24, 4:12pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm