Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Tom Kirchner (ouzel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Pacific Northwest/Sierra
About Me Leave no tracks.
CitySeattle
StateWA
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Tom Kirchner

Showing 141 - 150 of 6564 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...657

Forum » Thread

Darned
if this isn't the CHAFF thread I've been waiting for all winter, ISIS, NSA, FBI, and an epic battle between The Christ and the Anti Christ, all rolled into one. My nagging bout of cabin fe...

In Chaff » FREE Home Security System!!
January 26, 8:19pm

Re: I Think Fidel Would Disagree...
"Obama on Russia: 'Large countries don't bully smaller countries'." Let it never be said that our President lacks a sense of humor. A sense of history, perhaps, but not a ...

In Chaff » I Think Fidel Would Disagree...
January 26, 5:41pm

Re: yes
Well, I'll be damned. They sound a lot like the rangers up in North Cascades NP in their concern for their area. I do have mixed feelings about it, though, especially from a potential SAR poin...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking and Bushcraft
January 26, 5:36pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seriously, Do iPhones Really Belong at the Dinner Table?
"I often look at old outdoor pics and had no idea where or why it was taken or what it is.. but that's another story :)" This one's for you, Billy. ;0) http://www.youtube.c...

In Philosophy & Technique » Do Electronics Really Belong in the Wilderness ? !
January 26, 5:17pm

Re: Red tent
"Imagine my surprise when on a trip to the Wind Rivers a young backcountry ranger threatened us with fines if we didn't move our tent behind a hill where other wouldn't see it!" ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Backpacking and Bushcraft
January 26, 4:59pm

Re: Link
"http://m.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141769/john-j-mearsheimer/why-the-ukraine-crisis-is-the-wests-fault We push and we push and then act surprised and outraged." A most excellen...

In Chaff » Frontline - Putin's Way
January 25, 7:03pm

Re: Re: East of the sierras
"Have a friend that retired to Big Pine... prices are right on houses down that way." +1 and it's only 15 minutes south of Bishop. Excellent location for entry to the Sierra via ...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Thinking of Places to Move to - Colorado, Utah, Oregon,...?
January 25, 6:32pm

Re: Where Should a Backpacking Teacher Live
"Any thoughts? I figure lots of BPL members live in these areas and probably have some opinion as too what it would be like teaching and living there." Go West, young man! To the Owen...

In Chaff » Where Should a Backpacking Teacher Live
January 24, 8:36pm

Re: Je suis Charlie , latest cover
"The unfortunate Crusade comment was meant to be something like "are they watching the News from 500 years ago?" (as in :is their knowledge 500 years old?) not an analogy with the Cr...

In Chaff » Je suis Charlie , latest cover
January 24, 8:26pm

Re: Re: Re: Je suis Charlie , latest cover
"crusdades - they occupied Jerusalem until they were kicked out by Muslims" Yup, and Jerusalem is occupied again today, along with a majority of what was once called The Holy Land. I ...

In Chaff » Je suis Charlie , latest cover
January 24, 8:17pm

All Reader Reviews by Tom Kirchner

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Gossamer Gear ThinLight insulation pad 1/8" approx. 2 oz.
Having used both of the above mentioned combinations(only with a Mens' Prolite 3), I heartily concur with their rating(s). It would be hard to find a piece of insulation/protection/padding that g...

In Sleeping Pads - Foam
October 27, 5:20pm

ULA Circuit
Pro's: 1) Light; 2) Durable for the weight(like Kevin, I've done some off-trail/bushwhacking(Wanda Lake to Martha Lake via Davis Lakes/N. Goddard Creek) with only minor abrasion on the waist...

In Backpacks - Internal Frame
August 29, 6:16pm

RailRiders Adventure Shirt
Scott, Check out travelcountry.com for the eco-mesh shirt. They have free shipping whereas Railriders charges a pretty hefty fee. I've been using this shirt for years and consider it the best S...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - SYNTHETIC
April 06, 5:27pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro-Lite 4
Hi David, What you are experiencing with your Prolite-4 is a common phenomenon in my experience with the Prolite-3. It is, however, easy to mitigate. Just position the valve next to your shoulder o...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
April 04, 5:17pm

Therm-A-Rest Pro Lite 3
I've used the Prolite-3 almost since it came out with good success. It compresses well, is very light FOR ITS SIZE(what would a TorsoLite weigh if it was 20"x48"??), and insulates just ...

In Sleeping Pads - Inflatable
March 15, 6:02pm

REI Peak UL
I've been using the Peak UL carbon fiber poles(womens' non antishock 3 section model-11.2 oz/pr) ever since they came on the market and have been ecstatic about their performance. Like some other pos...

In Trekking Poles
November 04, 5:58pm