Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

John Chan (ouroboros) - BPL Guest

My Locale John Chan hasn't told us about their geographical region yet.
About Me John Chan has not added a biography yet.

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Chan

Showing 141 - 150 of 158 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Forum » Thread

Escargots... aux Canadiennes
Another food thought I had while hiking around the myriad of lakes in Ontario is the abundance (even into late November) of lake snails that are within easy reach. As a youngster, we use to catch ...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Growing Food on the Trail?
August 19, 1:23pm

Edible fungi
I've lived in Northern Ontario for 20 years of my life so I'm pretty familiar with the various spp of shrooms in my area... and we have fly agaric, and death angels. The key is developing your und...

August 19, 10:48am

Edible fungi
I for one have noticed alot of edible fungi on the trails in Northern Ontario where I hike. I think it would be interesting to do a hike/ discover trip where a large proportion of the lunchs are c...

August 19, 9:43am

An obvious solution... cheap too.
How about an old (or new) tyvek envelope, full velcro on the open end, then stuff it with extra clothes, or ground litter, or sand... to taste? If its large enough you can even stuff your empty ul...

In GEAR » Pillow Talk
August 19, 9:12am

center ND
Hi Rich, I also have the center ND filter. I think the filter factor is 1.5x so I usually compensate 1 stop for its use. With the linear polarizer its a loss of 3 stops so movement in the comp...

In Photo Gallery » Keepers.
August 18, 9:03pm

Singh Ray filters
Hi Rich, I only have the Lee filters but my understanding is Singh Ray makes some really great filters. If I were looking to project my panos I would probably invest in his intensifier as it ap...

August 18, 4:44pm

Decent matches?
This might seem like a no-brainer for others but I would like to know if one can get ahold of really high quality waterproof matches. I bought a pack of Colghan's branded matches only to find out ...

In GEAR » Decent matches?
August 18, 4:36pm

Lee filters
Hi Rich, I have modified the square filter holder of the Lee system with markings that delineate 1/3 from top, midline, 1/3 from bottom at f16-22. I've found that these are really convenient fo...

August 18, 4:14pm

keepers,
Thanks for your additional comments Rich. As for backpacking with a pano camera I've decided to keep these "fine art" trips short (like day-hikes or overnighters). The original chrome has alot ...

August 18, 12:20pm

Keepers
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Richard, I use a Gitzo Explorer 2228 tripod with the Manfrotto 410 geared head. I find the convertible boom feature on that tripod useful sometimes if I want to...

August 18, 10:51am

All Reader Reviews by John Chan

Showing 1 - 10 of 15 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Integral Designs Siltarp 2
This is now my preferred mode of tarping. After experimenting with cat-cut tarps, hammocks, tee-pee tarps, I have concluded that the most versatile configuration is the standard flat 8 x 10 silnylon ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
August 12, 9:41pm

Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec UL overbag (M)
I have used this bivy for 1 full season now. Compared to the BMW Vapor bivy this overbag has several plusses and minuses. The advantages 1. No stakeout points. This may seem counterintuitive, ...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
August 12, 9:33pm

MiniBullDesigns Trek 3
The MBD Trek 3 is the fully pressurized version of their original side-burner. There is no priming cup. You must add the denatured alcohol via small hole on top of the stove after unscrewing a wing-...

In Stoves - Alcohol
August 09, 7:11am

Vargo 1.3 L Titanium Pot
Very well made item. On the bottom of the pot it says "made in Japan" which from the dimensions, suggests that its an Evernew pot without the pot handles. I'm not sure how long the non-stick surface...

In Cookware - Titanium
August 09, 6:59am

Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet 25/30
Recieved my MLD Prophet 30 the other day. Its a pretty simple design but will probably do what I envisioned it to: carry a UL 3-day summer kit. I had Ron make some small modifications to my pack lik...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 09, 9:17am

Nunatak Skaha Plus
Recently took delivery on my much anticipated Skaha Plus down sweater. Two long, anxious months from concept to delivery but boy, was it worth it. I had Tom build a sweater in Quantum shell/ 0.8...

In Clothing - Insulating - Synthetic (Polarguard, Primaloft, etc.)
December 24, 7:53pm

Golite Hex 3
I recently applied UL philosophies to group camping so I replaced my MH Trango 2 tent with a Golite Hex 3. This week, I took the Hex 3 on a planned circumnavigation of the 100 km LaCloche Silhouette ...

In Shelters - Tarps & Floorless
November 26, 5:09pm

Princeton Tech Aurora
Probably the best overall LED headtorch on the market. Ample light, ample light settings, great battery longevity.

In Lights - Flashlights & Headlamps
November 08, 1:13pm

MSR Titan Kettle
Great primary pot for 1 or 2 if you are going to boil water and add. I have even used it for cooking rice (you'll need a pot cozy). I gave it a 4 because of the flimsy handles but I guess for UL coo...

In Cookware - Titanium
November 08, 1:11pm

Montane Featherlite
I've been using the Montane Featherlite Smock as a replacement for a bulky hardshell and its worked great so far. The Pertex fabric with DWR really does well in light precipitation and even in the oc...

In Clothing - Wind & Soft Shell
November 08, 10:34am