BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 141 - 150 of 5445 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...545

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re: Re: After the forest fires, any photos?
There is little running water anywhere. Note... I do not have an email address, computer, or internet access. I never read this thread. I don't exist.

In Pre-Trip Planning » SoCal, Idyllwild, PCT, Palm Springs, San Bernardino National Forest
May 14, 12:19am

Re: Where would you setup camp in this picture
This is an outstanding thread! The best spot is where the photographer is standing. Plenty of late afternoon and early morning sun. Fantastic views. Not the safest spot though... decisions, deci...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Where would you setup camp in this picture
May 14, 12:16am

Re: Ideal shelter for above tree line use in the Wind Rivers
There is no best tent or shelter option... each has it's pros and cons. For wind shedding ability, the Trailstar is outstanding... but it has its quirks. A quality mid is probably the best opti...

In GEAR » Ideal shelter for above tree line use in the Wind Rivers
May 14, 12:11am

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hikin Jim's "Dry Out West" Stove Article at GG
I know for sure that campfire permits (stoves and lanterns are included) are required in Sequoia and Inyo National Forests. Last month I was in Shasta-Trinity National Forest and they also require ...

In GEAR » Hikin Jim's "Dry Out West" Stove Article at GG
May 14, 12:06am

Re: Clothing for desert hiking
I have lived in the lower desert for over 30 years and have a dark complexion. For me I wear a loose knit t-shirt (or no shirt so I can work on my tan) and Patagonia Baggies with the liner cut out....

In GEAR » Clothing for desert hiking
May 13, 11:50pm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hikin Jim's "Dry Out West" Stove Article at GG
Bob, you maybe be right about National Parks in California -- if so I have been carrying a lot of extra weight in JTNP. The CalFire website infers they are required. To my knowledge they are requir...

In GEAR » Hikin Jim's "Dry Out West" Stove Article at GG
May 13, 11:34pm

Re: Re: Initial reactions to the Fusion
Will those water bottle pockets hold a Platy?

In GEAR » SMD fusion 65
May 13, 11:22pm

Re: First aid kit contents
Mine is pretty minimal. Years ago I got rid of everything I never used.

In GEAR » First aid kit contents
May 13, 11:16pm

Re: Car Keys?
My last 3 vehicles have had a keyless entry system. It is a prime requirement. I carefully hide my keys inside. I do the same thing as David with the rental car keys (several times a year) only...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Car Keys?
May 13, 11:10pm

Re: Gear reviews and comparisons' online websites
The Business of Backpacking

In On the Web » Gear reviews and comparisons' online websites
May 13, 11:06pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am