BPL Community Profile

Nick Gatel (ngatel) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale Southern California
About Me Started backpacking in the 1960's and still going strong.
CityPalm Springs
StateCA
CountryUSA
My Website URLhttp://www.popupbackpacker.com
My PDF Gear ListSub 4 lb

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Nick Gatel

Showing 141 - 150 of 5366 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...537

Forum » Thread

Re: WTB: Kelty Serac Backpack Size XL or L
You may want to specify the model. The left one is a Serac Expedition (1980's) versus the much smaller 70's Serac. However, neither is for sale. The expedition is over 7,000 cu in.

In Gear Swap » WTB: Kelty Serac Backpack Size XL or L
March 11, 4:29am

Re: REI -- Really?
The pundits here on BPL say UL is a base weight of under 10lbs. I can easily put together an UL kit at REI, with many, many permutations. Those Flash packs don't look inferior to some of the...

In Philosophy & Technique » Does this mean I'm ultralight?
March 09, 10:48pm

Re: Clothing for 30 degree SUL trip
Here is a gear list that works for me -- barely in the conditions you describe. I will assume that 30F is the night time low. Anza Borrego Trip list at the very bottom. Clothing at the bottom of...

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » Clothing for 30 degree SUL trip
March 08, 11:21am

Re: Ultra-light but not ultra-precise
Good article. For decades I rarely weighed my gear... why would I? If I needed it, I had to take it. When I did weight my pack I would put it on, step on a scale, take off the pack, step back on...

In On the Web » Ultra-light but not ultra-precise
March 08, 11:01am

Question
Other than tape, have any of you folks actually needed to use any of this stuff?

In GEAR » Your Repair Kit Contents
March 08, 10:42am

Re: Trash cleaned up
I suspect the ads are done via Google. As I understand it, Google looks at your browser history and places ads based on that. Last week I checked a couple items on Home Depot's website. My a...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Ads are back for Lifetime Member
March 08, 8:55am

Re: zpacks
Joe started out in the fringe niche of UL. A lot of Cuben, and the really thin stuff. A lot of his early customers understood the limits of the gear and the need to be gentle with it. Over time he ...

In GEAR » ZPacks™ Pointy Hat
March 06, 11:55pm

Re: Full Version in iPad
On my iPad... If it is oriented in landscape it always shows the "desktop" version no matter if I toggle between the desktop version or mobile version at the lower left of the page. It...

In Website & Forum Admin/Support » Full Version in iPad
March 06, 11:10pm

Re: Re: Re: Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
IMO and experience, things hanging out in the open are subject to shrubs, branches, tree limbs, boulders, cacti, and all sorts of mean nasty stuff just waiting to grab your gear and rip it apart.

In Make Your Own Gear » Modular Pack idea, anyone seen anything like this?
March 06, 11:02pm

Re: Re: Svea
"Nick, have you ever considered leading guided tours of your garage?" There is so much stuff in it, I need a guide to find stuff. My wife wishes we could park our vehicles in it.

In GEAR » Cold weather cooking - stove choices
March 06, 8:49pm

All Reader Reviews by Nick Gatel

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody
Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items! Sizing is not 'standard.' But... if you review ...

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 09, 11:38pm

ULA Equipment
5/5 It seems that from earlier reviews, ULA has solved the communication issues with the addition of Casey to the staff, which must have solved that void. Not only was the communication great (t...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 23, 1:49am