Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Thomas Burns (nerdboy52) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
About Me English professor at Ohio Wesleyan University, Director of Perkins Observatory

Words to live by: "Alas, poor Yogi. I knew him, Horatio. He was a bear of infinite appetite. So they shot him."

More words to live by: "Yeah, I'm a nerd. Want to make something of it . . . punk?" ;vD

Even more words to live by:
Solvitur ambulando.
"it is solved by walking."
St. Augustine
CityColumbus
StateOH
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListShoulder season gear list 2

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Thomas Burns

Showing 141 - 150 of 823 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...83

Forum » Thread

Jerky in the oven
Good advice! Jerky is one of those trail foods that doesn't require a fancy-schansky dehydrator to make -- although it's not very energy efficient to do so. Marinate in your favorite flavor...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Good jerky (not an oxymoron!)
July 23, 3:49pm

Favorite gear
It's a tossup between 1. A $.97 Tyvek painter's cap from the Home Depot near me. It keeps the sun off just as well as the more expensive alternatives. I've stained it orange to let t...

In GEAR » Favorite piece of gear?
July 23, 6:03am

Hunting season
I agree fundamentally with this advice about stealth camping -- except during hunting season. Then, I want every off-trail gun or bow hunter to know that I'm there. If I could set up, spinning ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
July 21, 6:33pm

And furthermore
By prying off the metal top when the bic mini is out of juice, you can turn the thing into a pretty good firestarter/ sparker. As I always say, the best backup firestarter to a Bic Mini is the bic ...

In Editor's Roundtable » Ultralight Tip of the Week
July 16, 6:45pm

nm
nm

In SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion » We need a SUL Thread PLEASE
July 15, 2:01pm

Specs?
I'm interested in a couple myself, but specs and a pic would be helpful. Stargazer P.S. My BPL netnet is so sewn up with repairs that I think there are bugs on it all the time. Dang that ...

In Gear Swap » Peter'sHeadNets are Back .. soon.
July 15, 6:50am

False advertising
Ah, yes. "When she said she loved to cook on the trail, I thought she meant she loved to COOK on the trail." (Young BPer's, please excuse the old euphemism.) Stargazer

In Chaff » BPL meets Match.com
July 11, 2:10pm

Permethrin from Kmart
Ditto on the last poster's advice. I buy mine from Kmart in the Garden section. (Look at the label to make sure that Perm is the only active ingredient.) BTW, I've been soaking my clothe...

In GEAR » PERMETHRIN
July 08, 5:42am

Hexamid
I've owned both at one time or another. I still own the Hex, both in the tarp version and the tent version (with beak). It's disadvantage is that it sets up in only one way, but it sets up ...

In GEAR » Shelter Advice
July 08, 5:35am

Eternal what?
To paraphrase Isaac Asimov: Death is nature's way of telling us we need to get out of the way of the next generation. They deserve their turn, ya know. Stargazer

In Chaff » Eternal Life?
July 07, 3:48pm

All Reader Reviews by Thomas Burns

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

FlexAir Pillow Dual Compartment Ultralight
>I think I'll stick with my Wal-Mart water wing pillow, which is about a third the price, a little lighter, and just as comfy if wrapped in my fleece jacket. Yo, Michael. Always looking for ...

In Miscellaneous Products
October 11, 11:18am

Fanatic Fringe Thompson Peak
Ditto to the above review. I added a top compression cord by tying a short length of cord to the upper drawcord, looping it over the top, and connecting it to the lifting strap loop with a small carab...

In Backpacks - Frameless
May 14, 6:13am