BPL Community Profile

Mark Hurd (markhurd) - BPL Premium Member

My Locale South Texas
About Me Backpacker, climber, cyclist, sometime kayaker, aerospace engineer, entomologist, physician, DIY gear maker, gadget junky, hammock aficionado and former daguerreotypist.---- "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt
CitySan Antonio
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Mark Hurd

Showing 141 - 150 of 457 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...46

Forum » Thread

Re: Re: Re : Caldera Keg
>As soon as the pot/can is supported significantly above the rim than the cone can be smaller, more compact and lighter. All good things.< Nia, I think the reason that TrailDesigns has ...

In GEAR » Caldera Keg users.
March 30, 6:06pm

Re: Re : Caldera Keg
>Thanks for the tip. I will try that on my next trip. Do you package each breakfast in individual bags, or pack it a large one, then re-use a smaller one for each meal?< Nick, My usual ...

March 30, 5:53pm

Nick, I'm with you on the oatmeal and coffee. I have switched to using regular oatmeal, not instant. I just throw 3/4 of a cup of it in a zip-lock bag with some brown sugar and usually raisi...

March 29, 10:32pm

Re: Re: Lights
Ok, another vote for the e-Lite. I keep a Photon Freedom light as a backup/zipper pull on my jacket. People also love the Fenix lights for their brightness, but they are definitely heavier. If you ...

In GEAR » Best flashlight
March 29, 9:54pm

Ben, Thanks for omitting the "leaning". :-) I use basically the same setup as you for my canister stove. As for alcohol- I liked the efficiency and stability of the cone, but, like...

March 29, 6:46pm

Ben. I agree with you. I like it when someone stirs the pot. -Mark

March 29, 6:29pm

Mike, Glad I could help. To anyone that is intereseted, Wow, a lot has happened on the thread since yesterday. Ben seems to be stirring the pot or perhaps the mug.:-) I have found, as ...

March 29, 6:24pm

Re: Re : Caldera Keg users
Mike, I roll the cone and invert it and slip it into the can. The edge of the cone sticks above the can about 1.2 cm. I invert the stove and slip it into the middle of the rolled cone which is...

March 28, 9:25pm

Re: Re : Caldera Keg users
Mike, I've been using the Caldera Keg for more than a year. It comes with a plastic caddy to protect it, but I have been packing it without the caddy the whole time which saves several ounce...

March 28, 6:47pm

Re: Heet or Alcohol
John, HEET (yellow bottle) is methanol. Denatured alcohol is usually ethanol with some methanol or other non-drinkable substances mixed in. So what is the difference? methanol has about 4.6 ...

In GEAR » Heet or Alcohol
March 25, 11:07pm

All Reader Reviews by Mark Hurd

Showing 1 - 6 of 6 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Packa eVent
I got an eVent Packa when they first came out and have used it quite a bit over the last couple years. The jacket weighs 16 oz, but it is also a pack cover, so if you subtract 1.5 oz for that you ...

In Clothing - Raingear
October 16, 4:52pm

Warbonnet BlackBird
Like the other reviewers, I am really pleased with this piece of gear. Brandon makes each hammock himself. He offers two weights of fabric and single and double bottom models. The roominess of th...

In Shelters - Hammocks & Accessories
January 22, 6:31pm

Trail Designs Caldera Stove
I am reviewing the Caldera Keg, but much of this also applies to the Caldera Cone for the 1.3L Evernew pot which I also own. Easy To Set Up- unroll the cone and slip the dovetails together then ins...

In Stoves - Alcohol
November 06, 5:10pm

TarpTent
My first tent under 7 lbs. was the Cloudburst 2. Well, no, actually it was a Squall 2 which I got and loved, but my wife, Nancy, thought it might be a little, too snug. So I got the Cloudburst 2. Well...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
April 16, 7:18pm

Six Moon Designs
I purchase both the Gatewood Cape and the Essence '07 pack from this company. Very responsive, quick shipping, and well made products. I have not had a problem with either item. Concerning durabil...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 28, 8:27pm

Six Moon Designs Essence '07
Review of the Six Moon Designs Essences ’07 pack I have entered this as a new review as I believe the redesigned pack is significantly different from the previous version and therefore deserves its...

In Backpacks - Frameless
February 27, 6:37pm