BPL Community Profile

Frank Steele (knarfster) - BPL Forum Member

My Locale Arizona
About Me Scoutmaster that doesn't like to lug around a 40 lb pack any more. I have achieved at least ultra light. Pack with TT Rainbow for 2 or a tarp and bivy for solo, BA Horsethief bag and IAC pad(I need a good nights sleep) and a modified Osprey Exos 46 pack for my big 3. I am down to base of 9lbs 10 oz, lbs with all dodads and warm clothing (Ibex and Mont-Bell). With 3 days of food and necessary water I am right at 15 lbs 15 oz. A big improvement over my old 40 lb pack.
CityPhoenix
StateAZ
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear ListWeekend Boy Scout outing

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Frank Steele

Showing 141 - 150 of 387 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...39

Forum » Thread

Source for Ti
Where did you get the Ti for the pot, and what weldiing method did you use?

In GEAR » Bushbuddy vs. Bushbuddy Ultra
May 14, 12:26pm

Enough packs already
There are already an unbelievable assortment of packs (and quilts) on the market. Why can't BPL concentrate on making more of some of the popular items from the past that are no longer availabl...

In GEAR » BPL Absaroka Pack
May 14, 12:22pm

Re: Silnylon Floor
+1 no ground cloth under my tarptent. Never used one with a shelter, never will, never had a problem. Pick a good site and prep it if needed. I love the people at REI that go buy a sub 4lb tent,...

In GEAR » Is there such thing as a decent, two-walled tent for two people under 3lbs?
May 14, 12:15pm

Tad
Tad, you sound like a candidate for a Mont-Bell bag. They cling to you like saran wrap and roll where you roll, but they can stretch way bigger than a WM bag to accommodate side sleepers and peopl...

In GEAR » Looking for a good 30 F ultralight bag
May 14, 12:06pm

Used to have it.
They used to have a page for each piece of gear, like waterproof jackets, insulated jackets etc. But the staff decided not to maintain the pages "It was too much work" so now all we get...

In GEAR » Gear weights
May 14, 12:03pm

FYI
moontrail.com has the Flash jacket for $260, BUT you get 45 bonus points, which will get about $80 of "free" stuff. WM jacket Bonus Point items

In GEAR » WM Flash Jacket: Is it enough?
May 14, 11:59am

In the review article
Says it is £350, that's $500+ US Dollars!!!!

In GEAR » Another UL twin-skinned tent
May 14, 11:49am

Left MB for BA
I may sound Crazy, but I left the MB UL Spiral #3 and the MB UL Super Stretch #2 for the Big Agnes Horsethief. BA "mummy" bags are cut huge girth wise(I am 5'7" but 210 lbs) and...

In GEAR » Looking for a good 30 F ultralight bag
May 14, 11:38am

Look at the picture
I like how their "20% off" picture has a WM bag in it, and those aren't on sale.

In Gear Deals » Hermits Hut 20% off
May 14, 11:17am

Re: Hermits Hut 20% off
Moontrail.com carries some WM gear, mostly cloths. They have the Mens Flash jacket for $260, BUT you get 45 bonus points to spend on "free" stuff, which is equal to about $80. http://...

In Gear Deals » Hermits Hut 20% off
May 14, 11:15am

All Reader Reviews by Frank Steele

Showing 1 - 10 of 12 | Page: 1 2

Review

Category

Campsaver.com Retailer
I have bought several things from Campsaver and steered several of my Scouts and their parents to them. they have good prices, very fast and affordable shipping and they have a very smooth return pro...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 19, 9:38am

Golite Jam
It looks like this thread is for the old Jam, but I don't want to confuse people looking to buy the new Jam and finding this thread. First generation pack named the Jam, weighed 22 oz, and was...

In Backpacks - Frameless
April 08, 12:10pm

Titanuium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy
Are you kidding me? This Bivy does it all! For $45 less than the next best made bag, which doesn't have the option of an all net AND all nylon hood. Plus I only had to wait 2 days, not 2 months...

In Shelters - Bivy Sacks
March 27, 12:19am

Mont-Bell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2
I will start off by saying I am a cold sleeper. I started my Ultralight journey with a MB UL Spiral Down Hugger #3 bag, which weighed only 18.9 oz on my digital scale. I loved the weight and how com...

In Sleeping Bags - Mummy & Other
March 23, 1:53pm

IBEX Woolies Crew Long Sleeve
The IBEX Woolies Crew keeps me warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm, Amazing. The wool is even softer than on my Icebreaker 140 technical T. I love this shirt (and the pants too!)

In Clothing - Baselayer & Fleece - WOOL
March 22, 11:43am

Osprey Exos 58
This is a great light pack. I tried the Frame-less packs and they are not for me FOR THE RECORD - THIS IS an INTERNAL FRAME PACK, the review doesn't belong here.

In Backpacks - External Frame
March 22, 11:35am

Backcountry.com
I have had nothing but great experiences with Backcountry. I also love picking up their scratch and dent stuff off of Geartrade. Alfred, you sound like a whiner to me. 1 point because you couldn&...

March 22, 10:48am

TarpTent
I bought a Contrail and didn't like the front entry. Henry gladly exchanged it for a Rainbow. Wish all companies were so easy to deal with.

March 22, 10:45am

e-OMC (Oregon Mountain Community) Customer Service
I ordered a pair of pants and a pair of montrail shoes. they arrived very quickly. the shoes didn't fell good and the pants were too big. I returned the shoes and exchanged the pants with no pr...

March 22, 10:39am

MoonTrail Customer Service
Moon trail is a great company to deal with and I love their bonus point system, Free Stuff! I always check their site first, because beyond the bonus points, they generally have lower prices than...

March 22, 10:30am