Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter

BPL Community Profile

Jim W. (jimqpublic) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale So-Cal
About Me 46 years old. Married with two kids- Daughter born in 2000, son born in 2003. Loved camping as a little kid. Then we moved to the foot of Mt. Whitney when I was 13. I spent my teenage years backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, xc & downhill skiing. A lot less since then (living in LA).

Jim
StateCalifornia
CountryUSA
My PDF Gear List2009 solo & family gear

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Jim W.

Showing 141 - 150 of 876 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...88

Forum » Thread

Re: Sierras in late march
Southern Sierras- Domeland Wilderness, PCT section F, hikes from Kennedy Meadows, etc. might be good. Look for areas that are hot and dry in summer. Actually look at any part the PCT from Mex...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierras in late march
February 23, 4:33pm

Bivy good for wind bad for rain
In wind I sleep better in a bivy than a tent because I'm not worried. You only need about 8" of windbreak if that, just to keep the wind pressure from compressing the bag. Snow is no p...

In Mountaineering & Alpinism » Rainier: Tentless at Camp Muir or Sherman
February 23, 11:15am

Re: Sierras in late march
Presuming you intend true winter mountaineering conditions... I'm not familiar with Dinkey Lakes. Rae Lakes loop could be a great winter trip. You will need to go from the East side since th...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Sierras in late march
February 23, 10:46am

Not an R1 Hoodie
Its not an R1 Hoodie, but I just got an REI Airflyte Hoodie for $41 on sale. You might check them out. It's a pretty dense fabric with a smooth wind resistant outer and low velour inside. We...

In Gear Swap » Wtd: Fleece Pullovers and Hoodies
February 19, 9:50pm

I promise Re: Prefer permits in hand before I fly.
You will get a permit, especially if you're alone. I've done it both in Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne and was the only one in line before about 5:30 in the morning. I arrived at 4:00 am to b...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir Trail first-timer
February 15, 9:40am

JMT Solo Walk-up permit.
Get in line at Yosemite Valley permit office at 4:00 AM or so and you should have no problem getting a spot for the next day. They may also put you on a wait list for same day no-show permits which...

In General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » JMT reasonable time needed
February 15, 9:32am

MYOG Aglets
For help remembering the correct name for shoe lace ends: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evcsj1gx1CE

In Make Your Own Gear » Boot laces - new/repair ends
February 14, 11:06pm

Re: Re: Yosemite Cushy
I'll carry all your gear, my professional chef buddy will do all the cooking, I'll even change diapers for the price of the High Sierra Camps. Seriously now. Horse Packer trips will pr...

In Pre-Trip Planning » Cushy, guided trips with shelters and prepared meals?
February 13, 9:24am

Re: Debating stoves
How many times per day? Cooking or boiling water? How much cooked each time? I'd take the Litemax.

In GEAR » Debating stoves
February 13, 8:54am

Re: hail the zong!
Absolutely! I've had a pair for several years and it's my favorite. I took my kids on a three week car camping trip and never put on regular shoes. My only complaint was that they t...

In GEAR » hail the zong!
February 13, 7:17am

All Reader Reviews by Jim W.

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 | Page: 1

Review

Category

Six Moon Designs StarLite
I purchased the SMD Starlight with hip belt pockets and frame stays for a 2008 hike of the John Muir Trail. Currently it has about 5 weeks of backpacking use. Weight is per spec at just under 2 po...

In Backpacks - Frameless
January 30, 11:19am

Black Diamond Equipment Customer Service
First, I'll say that usually before you call Customer Service of an equipment manufacturer it means something has gone wrong. This wasn't true for me at all- I contacted them for advice on wh...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
February 11, 5:06pm

Nike Lava Dome
My original Lava Domes lasted me several years- Wearing to school, mountain biking, hiking, working as a land surveyor. I remember carrying 5 pound Asolo boots in my pack as I wore the Lava Domes wa...

In Footwear - Boots, Shoes, Gaiters
April 02, 4:40pm

Jetboil Personal Cooking System
4.5/5 for overall performance/weight. I bought a Jetboil PCS last summer and used it for testing at home, a two week solo trip, and during a few family day hikes. I love the system compared to...

In Stoves - Canister
March 05, 2:10pm

Sierra Trading Post (STP) web shopping and service
I've been shopping with STP for at least 20 years. The web made this sort of business much easier to shop. Prices are almost always great. Being closeouts, overstocks, and 2nds you have to ke...

In 1 - COMPANIES (Customer Service)
May 22, 2:48pm