BPL Community Profile

Lucas Boyer (jhawkwx) - BPL Lifetime Member

My Locale 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
About Me Having been a backpacker off and on since the early 90's when a trip to Philmont infected me w/ the bug, I have transitioned over to a lighter kit. My first encounter with UL backpacking was some CDT thru-hikers I met in New Mexico. I went home and combed the web, found BPL, and the rest is history. Right now, I'm between jobs, working at a local running shop and have been doing a little freelance writing, hoping to find a voice for a writing career perhaps. Previously, I have obtained a meteorology degree and master's degree in secondary educ.
CityLawrence
StateKS
CountryUnited States
My Website URLhttp://www.hobohiker.wordpress.com
My PDF Gear ListOHT Gear List

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by Lucas Boyer

Showing 141 - 150 of 201 | Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Forum » Thread

re: big retailers
Here in the midwest, the Cabela's vs. Bass Pro standoff can't finish nicely, in my opinion. For example, travel across I-70 from St. Louis to Kansas City. You will find 4 Bass Pro Outlets. ...

In GEAR » The outdoor industry and the recession.
November 17, 8:00am

re: fleece quality
The LLBean no frills 200w(??) I think, is a nice option. I've had one for the better part of 6 years and wear it almost daily in the winter. It washes and dries looking like new every time. The...

In GEAR » Looking for advice on a jacket...
November 17, 7:48am

re: super prophet
Thom, are you demo'ing these? I've been hitting MLD daily, but haven't seen the super prophet come up yet on the options list. What are we talking cost wise for the upgrade?

In GEAR » 2010 MLD Prophets
November 17, 7:12am

Re: recycled materials
For those who would like to use "recycled materials": How about buying someone's used Jam that they tossed to the side to buy the latest and greatest from Golite? Reduce, Reuse, &...

In GEAR » New Golite Peak
November 16, 8:20am

re: co trail pack choice
As an owner of the Ohm, I will say you can't go wrong. I'm not sure what your food resupply plan is. But, if I were going to be hauling some big loads food wise, I'd narrow to the 2 pac...

In GEAR » UL Pack Questions
November 13, 12:25pm

Dunlop K26 Clones for US Buyers?
This post is directed at Roger Caffin or any of you that have used the Dunlop K26 running shoes in your hiking. I'm a size 15 US, so I won't be getting a pair of K26's. However, I was w...

In GEAR » Dunlop K26 Clones for US Buyers?
November 12, 8:53am

re: bivy
Sid, I just returned from a 6 night run in my homemade bivy. It has a net hood w/ a "rain" flap that can be velcroed over the mesh. The nights I cowboy camped, I was grateful for the ope...

In GEAR » MLD Superlight Bivy vs LiteSoul Bivy
November 11, 7:28am

re: grommet pressing
Justin, did you buy the kit to press the grommets or did you craft a diy method? I used those plastic grommets and the first outing saw one come apart and I lost one half, so now I'm withou...

In Make Your Own Gear » Tarptent for 2 is done!
November 09, 7:46am

Re waist/pad
Tom, not sure what you're alluding to. My large waist belt on my Ohm is pulled almost as tight as it will go and my waist is right at 33". This leaves at least 12" of adjustment. As f...

In GEAR » ULA New owner?
October 29, 4:54am

...or sil tarps
I feel your pain. My cat tried to make a bed in my sil tarp as I was sewing it. Cat claws + silnylon = wet night under tarp!

In Make Your Own Gear » Cats love 3.7oz Climashield Combat
October 29, 4:35am

All Reader Reviews by Lucas Boyer

Lucas Boyer has posted no reviews.