BPL Community Profile

John Whynot (jdw01776) - BPL Guest

My Locale Southeast Texas
About Me Hiking and backpacking (on and off) since 1976, mainly in the northeastern United States.
CityHouston
StateTX
CountryUSA

You cannot send this user a personal message (PM) because they have not specified a PM email address yet.

All Forum Posts by John Whynot

Showing 141 - 150 of 557 | Page: 1 ...6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ...56

Forum » Thread

Re: nunatak luna pad?
These look like a longer version of the GG Nighlight pad. I've used the torso-length Nightlight as both a pad and a frame in my Conduit. Plenty of padding...

In GEAR » Lightweight sleeping pad...here we go again!!
March 31, 7:53pm

Re: Shaving on the trail - Please help!!!
I don't shave on the trail, but if I did, this is what I would carry: Bic disposable razor (single blade style) Shaving oil -- I've used King of Shaves, and repackage in a smaller dropper...

In GEAR » Shaving on the trail - Please help!!!
March 31, 6:34pm

Re: Felt hats for backpacking?
When I started backpacking (1976) wool felt crusher hats were all the rage. They were hot, soaked up water, and took a long time to dry. Based on my experience with those, I'll take a nice, lig...

In GEAR » Felt hats for backpacking?
March 30, 6:48pm

Re: MT00 First Impressions and Ethical Question
This is a zero-drop trail-runner, and New Balance talks about the proven durability of the Vibram sole -- perhaps you found the limits, but I think delamination points to a problem with the adhesiv...

In GEAR » MT00 First Impressions and Ethical Question
March 27, 11:33am

Re: Re: Re: Integral Designs = Rab?
>>Integral Designs owns a bunch of contracts for EMS gear, search and rescue and RCMP in Canada The announcements of the acquisition indicates that this portion of Integral Designs remains...

In GEAR » Integral designs still kicking
March 03, 9:32pm

Re: Patagonia Merino 1 is BACK!
Nice to see these back, and in some lighter, more neutral colors. I have an orignal one in black, but just ordered one in grey.

In GEAR » Patagonia Merino 1 is BACK!
February 06, 7:31pm

Re: Knee length Mountain Cagoule
I used a Cagoule as rainwear for winter backpacking in the Northeast (yes, it does rain in the winter). Combined with gaiters, it gave good coverage. It was waterproof nylon, so some care was need ...

In Make Your Own Gear » Knee length Mountain Cagoule
January 10, 7:30pm

Re: Re: It's been done. But you're doing it lighter.
I'm not David, but I can tell you from personal experience you do not want to go sockless in military surplus VB boots -- and you want the sock to come up over the top of the boot. The rubber w...

In GEAR » Dry Warm feet in camp when shoes are wet. ??
January 03, 3:52pm

Re: Re: Week 3?
Try the Lindt Excellence 90% Cocoa Bar to satisfy the chocolate urge. 1 or 2 squares makes a good treat. I can't go back to the 70% now -- it tastes too sweet...

In Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » My Paleo
December 30, 2:24pm

Re: iPhone in the UK
Our daughter did a semester abroad over the summer. We added international service to her iPhone, but the iPhone was to be used only in an emergency (per minute cost was very high). We used...

In Pre-Trip Planning » iPhone in the UK
December 30, 10:48am

All Reader Reviews by John Whynot

Showing 1 - 2 of 2 | Page: 1

Review

Category

StickPic camera mount
A clever, well-engineered, and lightweight (0.35 ounces by my scale) gadget for mounting a camera on the tip of a trekking pole. Should work with any compact camera with a tripod socket. Works ver...

In Photography - Hiking & Backpacking Cameras
June 16, 10:55am

BPL Thorofare Trekking Pants
I purchased these as a replacement for my overbuilt Montbell Stretch Windpants. The fabric of the Trekking pants is a microgrid ripstop nylon, with a slightly textured inner surface. Size medium...

In Clothing - Raingear
December 07, 8:31pm